That New 308 WIN and IMR 4895!

Larry's pistol and pawn in Madison has small rife, and larger rifle in stock. Standard and magnum. Remington, Winchester, and CCI. $75.00 a brick.
Is that Happy Madison, Madison Monroe, or Maddison Wisconsin?

IMR 4895 is hardly new, it is listed as one of the accuracy loads in my first(Lyman 45th addition) reloading manual, it was used by the military for ball ammunition and match ammunition since WWII, I have several pounds of military surplus IMR 4895 powder.
The OP's post was entirely tongue in cheek. I'm quite certain he knows about how long the 308win and IMR4895 have been a match made in heaven...it was kind of his point, with everyone trending towards new and flashy, that this combo is actually quite good still.

And I am glad it is- all of my 308s have loved the combo.

I have been using only Magnum primers in everything I load for many years now. I build my loads based on the magnum primer and it is a non issue as far as pressures and any other such nonsense. The big advantage is that with the hotter burn powder is very effectively set off without any adverse effects. As of late magnum primers have been more available than standard but I have seen people turn their noses up to them preferring standard primers. I guess that is OK if you don't want to shoot but that is up to you.

I have been using only Magnum primers in everything I load for many years now. I build my loads based on the magnum primer and it is a non issue as far as pressures and any other such nonsense. The big advantage is that with the hotter burn powder is very effectively set off without any adverse effects. As of late magnum primers have been more available than standard but I have seen people turn their noses up to them preferring standard primers. I guess that is OK if you don't want to shoot but that is up to you.
This is fascinating

The OP's post was entirely tongue in cheek. I'm quite certain he knows about how long the 308win and IMR4895 have been a match made in heaven...it was kind of his point, with everyone trending towards new and flashy, that this combo is actually quite good still.

And I am glad it is- all of my 308s have loved the combo.
Quite the psychology experiment, eh? So, H4895 has been my go to powder for 308 the past 20yrs, but now it's non existent. IMR 4895 is in supply lately so I had to try. 1 more grain of IMR 4895 over H4895 seems to be the trick. Actually got 30fps more with IMR 4895.

I agree, all hunting loads up to 65 grains get CCI250 mags, over that get Fed 215. To the OPS question, I use IMR 4895 in my 308. 46 grains, WW case, CCI250 primer and 150 Grain Hornady, under 1/2" at 3000 fps. With the 130 TTSX it does 3150 with a grain more powder.

Last edited:
Now a Hammer in a 300 Rum............

sue makes stuff GIF
X-2

Recent Posts