That New 308 WIN and IMR 4895!

Yeah I hear y'all.Seems like everytime there is an election year things start getting scarce.This covid crap really made things worse.I switched to using magnum primers on my 308 Wins,338-06 and 30-06s'.Not because I was looking for more velocity,but because I have a bunch of magnum rifles.Now I just buy magnums for everything.It sure makes it easier.I could have bought some Federal Large Rifle primers last week for $3.99 a hundred.I just left them on the self.As scarce as things have been lately,I figured somebody could use them more than me.I'm just really glad to have what I have,but I've been working on it for a number of years too.
I'm thinking of getting some SRP cases for my 308 Win and 260 AI. It'll give me the option of using small rifle primers or large just for shortages like this. If I could only find the cases lol.

Stop burning up all that fancy new powder on your newfangled rounds. I've got replica loads to make for my assault rifle.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1634346336921.jpg
    FB_IMG_1634346336921.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 95
You really like to stir the pot and attract confrontation. I still enjoy shooting the 308 and can use so many powders that I can wear out a barrel just load testing. If i could only only find more primers, I probably will do just that. If I need to light the atmosphere on fire, I will pull a different gun out of the safe.

i will say, there is an ignore fiction built in to most forums.

either way, i'm waiting for pics myself,
I've been through the scares and slumps in the industry many times. Early 2000s the old boys beat into my head, "Buy it cheap, stack it deep." I bought 12k primers and enough components and ammo to last 10yrs more years. This hobby of ours is like the stock market. Fear driven.

careful now, some people might shame you for "hoarding" and then preach how it's your fault for not selling it to them or for them not having any.

careful now, some people might shame you for "hoarding" and then preach how it's your fault for not selling it to them or for

careful now, some people might shame you for "hoarding" and then preach how it's your fault for not selling it to them or for them not having any.
Gotta love those who want to buy the $300 per share stock for $3 share price.

I've been through the scares and slumps in the industry many times. Early 2000s the old boys beat into my head, "Buy it cheap, stack it deep." I bought 12k primers and enough components and ammo to last 10yrs more years. This hobby of ours is like the stock market. Fear driven.
only 12K in primers... rookie numbers...
th

When Winchester had that issue with the primers a few years back,I elected to take cash instead of replacement for the ones I had that were on the recall list.I wish now I would have elected to replace instead,I'd be in really good shape right now.I still have plenty to last me a good while now.I figure about a hundred to a hundred a fifty primers is all I need for each pound of powder I have,so I'm good with that.

When Winchester had that issue with the primers a few years back,I elected to take cash instead of replacement for the ones I had that were on the recall list.I wish now I would have elected to replace instead,I'd be in really good shape right now.I still have plenty to last me a good while now.
I did not know about that recall. Point to me to a link?

Not one to jump on new things, but I got a rifle chambered 308 Winchester and trying the new IMR powder IMR 4895. I might be the first for load development, so here goes:

18" Aero M5 gas gun with adjustable gas block

168gr Amax w/IMR 4895:

43gr gave a sizzling 2565fps with a 10 SD (Far exceeding the 6.5 PRC in my book)

155gr Amax w/IMR 4895:

44gr scorched earth at 2600fps with 8 SD (28 Nosler got nothing on this)

165 TSX BT w/IMR 4895

43gr lit the atmosphere on fire with 2545fps 13 SD (Lots faster than the 7mm Rem Mag)

Great accuracy and just as good as the 30-06!
Wow! Maybe I should switch from Varget in my large frame ARs to this new fangled powder. You might poke your eye out with that 155gr load!

I did not know about that recall. Point to me to a link?
These were primers I think between the 2008-2012 manufacture range,could have affected other dates before or after.You would have to contact Winchester and give them the lot number of the primers.That was about five years ago that it was a hot topic on forums.Those primers always seemed to be a loose fit in the primer pocket.The newer primers seat tight like the should now.Here is some pictures.

Yeah I hear y'all.Seems like everytime there is an election year things start getting scarce.This covid crap really made things worse.I switched to using magnum primers on my 308 Wins,338-06 and 30-06s'.Not because I was looking for more velocity,but because I have a bunch of magnum rifles.Now I just buy magnums for everything.It sure makes it easier.I could have bought some Federal Large Rifle primers last week for $3.99 a hundred.I just left them on the self.As scarce as things have been lately,I figured somebody could use them more than me.I'm just really glad to have what I have,but I've been working on it for a number of years too.
I haven't tried this. What is the typical load difference on .308 with LRP magnum vs LRP?