Thanksgiving break pheasant hunting experiences...anyone?

remy3424

Love Thanksgiving, eating, some football and lots of pheasant hunting...social distancing while hunting is easy! Saw lots of hunters on Thursday morning, the rest of the weekend we didn't see many at all. My gang got 23 over the 4 days...had 3 guys one day and 2 on the others. Thursday, Friday and Saturday we were blessed with perfect weather here in Iowa....today was windy, 20mph + wind speed. It was an awesome 4 days away from work! Anyone else chase roosters?

I'd love too, but around here they've been steadily declining for the last 15-20 years. Five years ago it was rare, but possible to shoot a limit of 3 birds. Last year I shot one. This year I haven't even seen one yet. Years ago all of the hotels would be full the night before opening day. Now........ I'd be surprised if a single purpose drove here for the purpose of chasing pheasants. Darn shame too.

That stinks. The birds numbers reflect the habitat or lack of it. I read in Pennsylvania the state releases pen raised birds during the season for the hunters to shoot. I made a reference to it as "government subsidized pheasant hunting". As I think about this, Iowa also does this (it could be a federal program), but with a different twist. 4 years ago, or so, they offered a CRP program (CP-38) which actually targeted pheasant recovery. It is really working here, creating awesome habitat (and bird numbers) in a hurry! It had to cost a ton, but it had multiple additional benefits, very similar to the regular CRP, but there are requirements for nesting cover, heavy winter cover and food plots. I guess pay the grain farmers to raise them or pay a pheasant ranch to provide them. I hope things change for you.

Got out and was able to get one. Hens held tight. Was able to get some nice flushes. Roosters were pretty spooky. Dog had fun.

Attachments

• 20201128_154340.jpg
    20201128_154340.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 186
I use the same shotgun...if it is a 12 gauge, nice pic. They feel so right...I guess after 30 years or so, it is hard to switch. Bought a V3 to try, the wrist just feels huge, it is back in the vault with the Benelli SBE....destined for back-ups.