Texas Panhandle opener

Saturday was our opening day for mule deer in the Texas Panhandle. I didn't get the chance to do my usual preseason scouting this year and didn't know what to expect, especially from our hot dry year. I made it up Friday and was pleasantly surprised at all the deer I was seeing. Almost all the does had fawns and a few with twins. Two places that I hunt had lots of deer but no horns. With the cooler weather than usual the last couple of weeks I was hope buck's would be moving.
Saturday morning took off with lots of deer. One you whitetail was rutting around mulies and saw a few mule forkys. I finally found this guy out in the middle of a cotton field circle. Got a range 406 yards and let loose with the WTO 6.5/284. A 140gr Berger Elite Hunter put him straight down. Really liking this setup.
Congratulations!! That is a beautiful Buck.

Nice to see a mature animal being shot. I've also never seen a mule deer in a cotton field before, so that's neat! Nice buck, and congrats!

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Congrats on a very nice mule deer , My place is a little east of the Pecos our mule deer have a hard time making it to maturity , I bet your buck is at least 7 yrs old . I also have a WTO set up in 6.5 PRC . Neat set up .

Congrats on a very nice mule deer , My place is a little east of the Pecos our mule deer have a hard time making it to maturity , I bet your buck is at least 7 yrs old . I also have a WTO set up in 6.5 PRC . Neat set up .
This deer wasn't over 6, probably 5. They have a way better life that out in the desert

Some of my deer in cotton over the years. Deer love cotton. A lot of hunters have cotton seed out instead of corn in Texas

9101A525-2139-4B13-9F3C-216FFA22F28D.jpeg
A98BB09C-42A2-4E88-865B-144E28FAF033.jpeg
D4F06AC1-587A-459B-AF58-EE61A0B2BD1C.jpeg

Saturday was our opening day for mule deer in the Texas Panhandle. I didn't get the chance to do my usual preseason scouting this year and didn't know what to expect, especially from our hot dry year. I made it up Friday and was pleasantly surprised at all the deer I was seeing. Almost all the does had fawns and a few with twins. Two places that I hunt had lots of deer but no horns. With the cooler weather than usual the last couple of weeks I was hope buck's would be moving.
Saturday morning took off with lots of deer. One you whitetail was rutting around mulies and saw a few mule forkys. I finally found this guy out in the middle of a cotton field circle. Got a range 406 yards and let loose with the WTO 6.5/284. A 140gr Berger Elite Hunter put him straight down. Really liking this setup.
Congratulations. Great buck.