Texas Aoudad ..... Things to know..

Yes, Down around Valentine.. Lots of cool country down that way.. If it wasn't so expensive I would do it again... Texas doesn't just have much public ground to hunt so DIY isn't really an option unless you know some ranchers.. I would think having grown up there you should have some connections if you want to go hunt.

Thanks for the write up. I have a trip booked with the same guide and I believe the same property in 4 weeks (saw him post your pics). I did know about the half day hunts on first and last day so that will not be a surprise. Is there anything you would do different going into it to be better prepared?

Thanks for the write up. I have a trip booked with the same guide and I believe the same property in 4 weeks (saw him post your pics). I did know about the half day hunts on first and last day so that will not be a surprise. Is there anything you would do different going into it to be better prepared?
Well, broke in boots and be in shape.. Lots of hiking and glassing.. Best glass you can take even if you borrow it.. Tell your guide you want him to pick out a 30 inch or bigger sheep for you to shoot.. If you have hunted sheep in the past they usually will not say much unless you ask them to guide you in on one... You won't have a shower for 4 days so take some wet wipes or something to clean up with.. All the hiking can get you a little chaffed.. Cut your toenails appropriately before you go.. Lots of uphill downhill stuff you don't want to black any nails.. just have a great time and enjoy the scenery god has put out there. I love hunting the desert but everything pokes...and sticks ... Take some tweezers.. Good luck amigo.

Nice sheep...glad you had a good hunt.30 inch rams are never easy.... 33 Nosler is a awesome round to hunt sheep in windy conditions too. I owned one and loved it--I shoot a 338 RCM and 338 Norma as I'm always experimenting you can't go wrong with a 338. In the country we hunt...you don't need super stiff boots but a good leather boot with aggressive tread and good support. I even suggest good gaiters or tall tops. I have a set of Russell's that have 15 in tops and they turn a lot thorns. I also use knee pads, and a good set of gloves --as I'm getting too old and soft to be crawling around without some protection. As I mentioned in another thread a good light weight wool shirt (long sleeve) is a must. Glass like DXlbalie said--it helps to have the best you can muster--I have A set of Swarovski EL ranges that I love I can range and have good clarity .I will tell you a good set of 12x or 15x binos on a quality tripod will change the way you hunt. I have a set of Maven B4s That are nice on a outdoorsman tripod with a outdoorsman head.A quality backpack that you like, that has a good water bladder. I also find a quality set of radios help--if you are outfitted hopefully they have them--but it amazes me how many that don't. A lot of times we use a spotter and have to "walk hunters into the sheep". ALso remeber sunscreen and a quality hat. I grew up here so having a hat and good sunglasses --I don't leave the house without them...Looks like you guys had wet weather, which does happen in the winter and spring. In the fall when the rut is on it can be hot--and water management is really important. I helped get a young man out this year that did not manage his water. He got dehydrated and hot as he sucked down his 70 oz of water too fast and underestimated the hike back to the truck. I am amazed at how popular Aoudad hunting has become. Enjoyed the write up.

The best thing I found to do with the meat...is take the hams and the straps and grind them and make dried sausage out of them. It is pretty good as there is enough salt and spices to make it eatable

I would think having grown up there you should have some connections if you want to go hunt.
I've hunted all my life in West Texas without paying, and the connections are numerous . Some I know others I know through my brothers that still live there and sometimes all it takes is for me to teach them how to shoot long distances, a couple of cases of beer after shooting along with some steaks.
At one point or another everyone knows everyone in Alpine and help each other out. Basically it is just a small click of friends and family.

I've hunted all my life in West Texas without paying, and the connections are numerous . Some I know others I know through my brothers that still live there and sometimes all it takes is for me to teach them how to shoot long distances, a couple of cases of beer after shooting along with some steaks.
At one point or another everyone knows everyone in Alpine and help each other out. Basically it is just a small click of friends and family.
That's awesome.. Sounds like a good bunch of people.. Wish I had the same connections.. Getting way to expensive to hunt in Texas.. I guess that is why I had to wait until I turned 50 to do it though... Good luck with your hunts and enjoy that Desert country when you can.

No offense Amigo, It is expensive everywhere... I can't afford to hunt elk in NM unless I draw a tag.. The only great thing here is there is some public land to hunt if you do draw... Texas is just pay to play... Lots of private... It's just the direction hunting has gone...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts