Testing Sightron III scope on a 338 Snipe-Tac

Black Diamond 408

A member here sent me a 6-24 Sightron III scope to test on one of my Snipe-Tac rifles, he wanted to know if it would hold up to the punishment of the recoil. I mounted it up on a customers rifle i wanted to test. The scope was a fine crosshair with dot. I put it on a 30moa base, this brought the clicks on the scope to almost bottom, i didnt check to see how many MOA it had in the scope. I was curious to see how it tracked and if it would hold zero. It was sighted in at 100yds,dead on. I then moved to a 620yd target, exbal said i needed 7 moa...i clicked it up the required amount, booom, dead center hit. We fired 4 shots at this distance, all hits. Then i moved to the 950yd target, Exbal said 16 moa, so i added the extra clicks, fired and a hit, it was about .5 moa high on the gong. We were shooting uphill, if that makes much difference and it was very windy as well.

The glass in the scope seems to be very clear, i didnt care for the redical but i dont know what else is offered.

I compared it to my IOR 6-24 35mm scope, the IOR was brighter as the tube is a bit bigger, i like the redical in my IOR, i dont have to do any come ups as long as im shooting to 1000yds.

I have several Nightforce scopes mounted on customers rifles, i would say the IOR is a close second to a Nightforce.

Dave

It seemed to hold up to the pounding, although i only shot 18 rounds. I think it would be a option for a mid priced scope.

I give it a thumbs up for a 500.00 scope

Dave

Catshooter,

No it was fine, i just like a mil dot type redical. When i adjusted for the come ups it was a nice look. Several guys shot it and they all liked it. Its just a personal preferance.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter,

No it was fine, i just like a mil dot type reticle. When I adjusted for the come ups it was a nice look. Several guys shot it and they all liked it. Its just a personal preference.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

They make that scope with a Mil-dot reticle. It is on the list for a project down the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.