Testing group size (Accuracy)

J E Custom

Another Video that could help improve group size and indicate the best load for the rifle.
This video shows the importance of locating the supports/rest in the exact same spot every time you fire the rifle.
Any shift in the rifle support can change the Point of impact. Many people don,t like the use of a lead sled but I do because it positions the rifle the same way every time. I don't use weights in it because it is heavy enough like it is.

If you can place the rifle the same after each shot other methods will work. If you use sand bags, stay away from the front of the forearm (Under the front action screw is the most consistent location in my opinion). If you use/like a bypod the barrel should be floated enough to prevent contact with the stock when different loads are applied to the Bypod.

The point is, the consistency of the support can make a huge difference in accuracy as this Video shows.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how many good deals on "bad scopes" are out there. 😉
I recently read a post whereas a guy swore his new scope (brand) was horrible. He wrote about how inconsistent it was and that it wouldn't track. Later, another post from the guy indicated he had installed a can on his barrel and that made his bullet poi change. Amazing stories on the internet. We have all had "brain cramps"... some from lack of experience, some from being in a hurry, and some from just being a dummy at times.

Lol who even does that? You never rest the barrel on anything when shooting. When sighting in or doing load development, you should hold and have the rifle in the same place for consistency. Shooter needs to learn proper bench technique and go from there...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.