Testing berger 250 hybrid otm tacticals

G

GNERGY

I received 2 boxes of the Berger 250gr Hybrids and am doing some testing for Berger. Did anybody else here apply to test their bullets. I saw the thread on Accurate Shooter and sent an E mail to test.
There is only 50 in a box so my testing is going to be a little limited. I was hoping for 200 bullets to be able to test a couple different powders.
I am going to start with IMR 7828SSC as my first powder with weights from 87 to 90 grs. I'm using Fed Mag primers and once fired brass. My OAL will be 3.925 which will be .050 off the lands. My brass has been annealed and is sized to give me .003 neck tension.
I am going to also load some with H 4831SC. Will load them tomorrow and head out on monday to do my testing at 300yds.
Which powder are you guys loading and what seating depth.
My Rifle is
Rem 700
30 Inch Broughton tube 1in 9.3 TW with a Muscle brake smithed by Jim See of Centershot rifles.
Bobby Hart LRT stock Devcon bedded by Me for testing with bipod.
Burris 8x-32x 50 Black Diamond.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/work-art-finished-57445/
Tarey

My gut says to try H1000 rather than H4831. Now that I think about it though, H1000 is the go-to powder for the 300grain bullets. H4831 is probably a good choice for the 250grainers. Load 'em up and send 'em then let us know your results.

I vote for h1000 and retumbo based on Hodgen's site for the 338ultra. Please let us know how it shoots.
Bob

I have had better luck with a little faster powders. I think (but not sure ) it is because my barrel has a .3385 bore and my smith said to go with a little faster powder to slug up the bottom of the bullet for a tighter fit.
Here is my other testing results. I wanted to go with the 250 NAB but couldn't get it to shoot good, so I went with the Barnes and am glad I did. It is a flat shooting combo with a very well constructed bullet.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/finally-got-shoot-my-338-ultra-mag-part-2-a-57447/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/338-ultra-mag-225gr-barnes-results-57973/index2.html

The 2 powders I am trying I already have, and RL 25 isn't a good powder to use because I found out the hotter it got here in AZ the hotter my loads got.
I only got 100 bullets from Berger to test so why buy powders I don't use. I was hoping it was 2 boxes of 100 each box and then I could really test more powders and really do some long range testing.
Tarey

I saw an article on Accurate shooter website. I tried to find the same post here but didn't have any luck.
new Berger 338 cal 250 gr Hybrid - testers needed
I hang out over there too. That is the second time I saw a post for testers wanted for testing new Berger bullets.
That H870 XD is that a new powder or an old one, I don't see it any place. I have AA8700 that they don't make anymore and some H450.

Tarey

H 870 was discontinued a long time ago. There is Thunderbird 870 (Not sure if it is Mil Pull Down or New) and a guy GIBRASS (Google Him) that sells pull down powder from 20mm vulcan rounds. T-870 is 88 per 8lb keg and GIBRASS is 46 per 8lb keg. I have 6 on the way.

OK, so far with 90 gr IMR 7828 at 3015 fps I got 3 in 1 inch at 300 yds. The wind was blowing from 6 to 10 mph on my Kestrel. That was seated .050 off the lands. I know I can get them to shoot better. You guys shooting the 300 gr hybrids, how far off the lands have you been seating them with what results. Am I trying to get too much accuracy out of them? I still have 2 powders to test.
They look like they will be a good long range bullet.
Tarey

As we talked in e-mail I think 3 in 1" at 300 yds / .3 moa is pretty darn good for a 338. I would take them out farther and see if accuracy is under 1/2 moa at 500, 800 and 1000.

Durring load development I seated the 300's from -.060" off the lands to -.015" off. My best ES was at -.015" off so I stayed there. But the difference in accuracy changing seating depth was minute. The reason I am happy with 1/2 moa is I shoot everything , even development, in field condidtins off a bipod and a rear bag. If can hold 1/2 moa I am good to go.

Jeff

I know the advice from Bryan Litz about the Hybrids is to start at .015 off the lands and work out from there.

I loaded up some more with 90 gr. of 7828 that shot into an inch at 300 yds, at different seating depths. I tried .015 and .070 and some with a little more powder at .050, the original seating depth.
The .070 gave me the best group at 7/8 ths. inch at 300 yds.
The .050 with 91 grs also shot into 1 inch at 300 yds at 3060 fps.
I am liking the groups because they are very tight vertically. All the groups don't vary over .600 up and down. I think that will be a benefit for long range hits.
I loaded up a couple more with 7828 at .070 to verify the depth and go a little higher on the powder. I went today but it was over 15 mph wind, so I will get back out on monday.
Here is my setup and I am trying out a new bipod that is very stable and doesn't have the front and back wobble as my Harris does.
100_0917.jpg

100_0919.jpg

Any comments on the bipod, I had a couple guys at the range show interest in me making them one. I would make them on a bridgeport and would probably sell them for around $130.00 So I am just trying to get an idea if anybody else is interested in one. They are strong, as I can stand on it.
Tarey

I was at the range yesterday, and a guy was testing the 250,s also out of a Sako trg. He wasnt real happy with his 200 yrd groups, most looked to me to be 1 1/2 to 1'', he had about 6 groups and I noticed in his notes he was adj. seating @ .003 at a time. I said those dont look to bad to me and he showed me basically a one hole group w/250 scenar and a few others, under 1/2 @ 200 My best group for me w/300 gen 1 was 1 1/8 @ 400 ,.005 off

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.