Testing APS PainKiller muzzle brake

Learn somethin' new every day here at LRH! Very impressive performance indeed, and was it wrong that I let out a chuckle when I watched the unbraked shot slide all the way back?

Simple, entertaining, and very effective all at the same time :)

510AX break

Hi kirby why dont you do that test with that real uley break for your 510AX

Cheers Bill

I did not do that test but I will admit, the 50 AT would be a serious test for any muzzle brake. I would suspect my PK and your brake would perform very similiarly in recoil reduction.

Yours has a bit more surface area, mine has the better gas redirection control, I would say it would be about a wash in the end. May have to test and see what happens.

Might need three sheets of plywood for the first, no brake test shot!!! :D

I can't speak from experience concerning the DE brake as I've never used one, I've only seen the pics that Shawn has posted and read what people say that have the DE brake. I'd venture a guess that the DE brake is every bit as good as the QD and probably even better due to the design of the DE brake.

Having tested the QD brake, which is similar in size and design to the DE brake, against the PK brake I'd say that the PK brake is probably the more efficient brake when it comes to maximum braking ability. This is due to the size and design of the PK brake.

I'd guess that most people will make their decision when purchasing a brake based on aesthetics and advertising hype vs. true braking ability. I wanted the maximum braking ability and I got it for sure.;)

Painkiller

Hi ss7mm,
Thanks for the test. Just to clear things up for me you used a 5 baffle brake?
What are the prices for a 3 & 5 baffle brake?
Have you or anyone else tested the JP Recoil Eliminator against the painkiller brakes?
Do you think a 5 baffle or 3 baffle brake would be best for a 7mm STW built on a Rem 700 adl(light)?
Regards.
hjl

Yes, as the pictures show, I have a 5 port PK brake.

Just to be sure, you should check with Kirby at APS about the price of his brakes. He can fill you in on all of that.

I have never used a JP brake. The PK brakes just came out so I doubt that anyone has tested them against anything other than what I did in this test.

Given what Kirby said about his design criteria and the size of the brakes, I'd say that he would tell you to use the 3 port brake on a 7mm STW.

Sorry to bring up such an old topic for my first post. Anyway, has anyone tested the newer Holland radial brake against the Painkiller yet? The QD really impressed me for its size. The Radial must be better. How bout throwing the DE brake and the Muscle brake in on this shootout too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts