test results help: UPDATE 300 yard test

Re: test results help

just read that using a marker to blacken bullets helps with the contrast if getting errors....that was in the Shooting chrony manual...forgot about that....gonna blacken my bullets this afternoon in preparation for tomorrow

Darkening the bullet to make it less reflective sounds like a venture worth trying....I always thought that a less reflective moly bullet could help...

I do use marker on my cases to positively identify them before and after tests but it does tend to grime up my chamber after a while....I also use it on my bullets in my test cases for finding the lands...It does have thickness and there is a possibility that it might screw up the bullets fight or gum up the barrel slightly...I don't know but let me know...You be the guinea pig this time:). (Kroil will clean it right off though)

If you can even lay up a big sheet of cardboard on the sun side of the chrony it may help a bunch....bigger the better as long as you can see and shoot by it...
Good luck,
randy

Did another test today, tested with seating depths .010, .050, .090, and .130 off the lands. I shot round robin, going back and forth between 2 targets at a time for the first grouping, then a 4 target round robin for the second group.

Originally the targets were set so .010 was above, and .130 was above .090...I put each target for seating depths together for presenting. the top target is the first string for each, and the bottom is the second.

I think i was getting tired from walking the 100 yards back and forth through the 8n inch snot, so there are called fliers on the second groups for .050 and .090, and a shot that I did not call as fliers on .010 and .130
Conditions:
Temp: 34
Wind 6mph from 70'clock
Pressure: 30.26
Humidity: 24%
Light: full sun down range, shadows where I was shooting

Here are the results:

.010 off the lands:
010fromthelands_zps2dda20fd.jpg

.050 off the lands: Note, the top target is a personal best for me at 100 yards
050fromlands_zpsed936964.jpg

.090 off the lands:
090fromlands_zps62debaa5.jpg

.130 off the lands:
130fromlands_zps6df4ffe7.jpg

As usual, comments/suggestions/questions are always welcome.

Thanks
Erik

Re: test results help: UPDATE with seating depth

50 and 90 look promising. Go 75 and see what happens. the good news is not much verticle is going on. I would also repeat 50. If 50 has a horizontal flyer those two look pretty good. 75ish could be magic though.

Erik,

I agree with Brent, .050 is looking good but on the other hand you have bullet holes touching in almost every group..That said, you are doing a great job releasing each shot considering the conditions you have been shooting in (ie: cold, windy)...Your handloads must be real consistent along with your style...Therefore, do not rule anything out yet except maybe the .130 and even there one group was not bad...

My advice might be to try some of the best loads at 3 or 4 hundred now providing you don't get wind....MOA will often improve because the side velocity (mostly caused by the shooter) disipates rather fast and is barely measureable after 200 yards.....This is why others often state it is a waste of time shooting at 100 yards...On the contrary, once you have proved your loads at 100 yards there is almost a 100% chance your loads will be great beyond that....The best 100 yard benchrest guys don't see the MOA increases that others often brag about....Goes to show how bag manners are so important....My decrepid old bones and blurry old eyes won't allow me to shoot like I used to and today I am happy to shoot a .2 or .3 once in a while at 100 and delighted when I set up an 8-1/2x11 target at 600 yards and shoot 4" and keep them all on the paper.....

Calling your shots as you do is a great asset to analyzing your groups...I actually note this information on my record sheet along with MV, load & weather info...It is especially important when you know you goofed so you can dis-allow that shot....

Keep up the good work,
Randy

Gonna load up some more at .050, and .090, and split the difference and do some at .070.

Going to test at either 200 or 300, any suggestions on which?

wind forecast for Friday is no wind in the afternoon, though my Kestrel will tell me the truth.

Also, 3 shot groups or 5 shot groups? I am trying to keep this batch of brass together, so I have 22 left to use for this test.

Thanks

Erik

Well, this is what I do.....I reload in the field in my truck. Some people think it is nuts but it saves me a lot of $ working up loads in the field.

For example, let's say you load some 70's and they are OMG bug holes at 200. Are you going to try for better? Probably not. So if you had loads at 50 and 90 you are wasting the 90's as you can seat the 50's. I guess in your case the 90 are flying well too so it may not be a waste. Anyway that is what I do.

If you have perfect conditions why not shoot at 300? Some guys shoot at 500 or a 1000. The further the distance the more variations are going to show up.

Thanks for the input...thinking about it, with how good the 50s were, I might just do those as a re-test, and some 70s to see how they fly, the 90s were OK, and I can always retest, if things don't pan out with the other 2.

I'll see how wind is on Friday before deciding on range...also, there is a target stand at 300, but not at 200, I'd have to carry one out, so I may just be "lazy" and shoot at 300, but we'll see

Like Brent my press is not far from my bench (about 75 yds to the house)...I usually do a few at a time....But if I drive to the range I am pretty sure of what
will happen because of all the testing at home and then I have a few more of
what I am going to try....

By all means shoot the 300 yards if the wind is down....If the wind is mild but consistent you can still get a good picture of the grouping and be able to pratice your wind doping at the same time....

Oh by the way when your target read Valkyrie...I thought man this guy emn83 must be loaded...The highend "Valkyrie" custom rifles from England gotta be expensive....I searched your posts for Valkyrie and found your "pet" name for your Savage....Sounds like you put together a nice one...One of my hobbies is playing with these Savage/Stevens 2...At last count I have 6 of them....
The wear Shilen, Douglas, E.R. Shaw and one even has a factory bbl....The barrels swap places from time to time...221 fireball, 243, several 260s, several 25-06s, 6.5-06, several 30-06s, 7mm Mag, and their might be more..

Man I just plain love to shoot!

Keep us posted on Fridays results,
Randy

I have a stand for setting up my press at the range, but I get frowned at when I bring it...otherwise I'd be bringing it every time....it's a 4 mile drive to the range, so not a huge deal, especially on weekends, to shoot, go home, analyse results and load up and go again.

You guys have been great giving me advice. Hopefully after testing the .070 against the .050, Ill have this load nailed down. That first group with 0.050 was a personal best, so I have some real high hopes

Randy, I wish I had the money for a High end brand name Valkyrie. as it is, my valkyre is awesome, took over a year to get where where she is, I had a great smith to do the work on it

We all live in such different worlds. Pretty cool. We don't have a range at all here that is useable. My range is the mountain usually. We have family farm as well that is about 25 miles away and works fine for testing. For a full on hunting load or LR testing I go to the mountain where I hunt or at least to an elevation that is close. Usually 1 to 1.5 hr drive. In either case I have to take it all with me for Testing. If am just shooting for practive and have a dialed in load, I just load at home and go.

What i have always been told by other respected handloaders is 3 shot groups tell you about the gun, and 5 shot groups tell you about the shooter!?!?.. looks like you are on the right track though!!

We all live in such different worlds. Pretty cool. We don't have a range at all here that is useable. My range is the mountain usually. We have family farm as well that is about 25 miles away and works fine for testing. For a full on hunting load or LR testing I go to the mountain where I hunt or at least to an elevation that is close. Usually 1 to 1.5 hr drive. In either case I have to take it all with me for Testing. If am just shooting for practive and have a dialed in load, I just load at home and go.
I'm pretty fortunate to live in a part of the state with enough shooters, and open land for the conservation club to get a range set up...looks like this summer, they will be putting in the backstop for a 600 yard line

What i have always been told by other respected handloaders is 3 shot groups tell you about the gun, and 5 shot groups tell you about the shooter!?!?.. looks like you are on the right track though!!
yeah, I was thinking doing two 3-shot groups again, just to verify....I shoot back and forth one load then the other, on targets that are either side by side, or one below the other, then I retrieve those targets and shoot another round robin group, reversing the order of shots from before

Shooting 5 shot groups with my lighter barrels often shows open groups, where 5 shot groups with my two heaviest (varmint contour) always stay pretty much OK...I try to keep a minute or so between shots....My latest project is a 6.5-06 with a magnum contour barrel and it has been pretty cold most of the winter so I really haven't seen 5 shoot groups open that much, but I still am shooting mostly 3 shot groups with it...When I find my best load,
hopefully in a warmer weather, then we will see how many in a row she can really handle.....

A lot of times there will be two or three more rifles leaning against the tree behind me..They take turns so my barrels don't get too warm...It is that first shot that really counts for me anyway...The one with the cold fouled barrel....

Brent, what part of the world are you from? I make a trip out west hunting almost every year...My plans are to retire somewhere out there in the next couple of years....I have made several trips to SD since 1980 and several trips to MT (two last year), hunted antelope mule deer and elk in WY in quite a few places over the last 10 years or so...Really love that country

Later,
randy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.