Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti feeding issues

Killertraylor

I built a switch barrel 6.5 Sherman Short with 7mm SS and .338 SS barrels about a year ago using Joel's Apollo Lite/Ti action and the Wyatt's 6.5 PRC mag box and follower. At first, I couldn't get the fat SS cases down through the feed rails on the Apollo and Joel told me to scrape the DLC coating off of them to give me a little extra clearance. That worked, but the action still won't feed from the mag to the chamber reliably, especially with 2 down.

I recently ordered another of his actions to build a 6.8 Western for a buddy and we are having the exact same issue with the 6.8 western (same Wyatt's 6.5 PRC mag box and follower). I tried some different followers from my 7 SAUM, 6.5 SAUM and 6.5 PRC but none of them seemed to work. Joel thought that perhaps machining another .01 off each side of the feed rails and using a CFE center feed magbox and follower might fix it. Just wondering if anyone else is running this action with a short mag and whether you've had similar issues or if you can recommend a mag box and follower that worked for you. I just ordered a few of the Wyatt's center feed mag boxes and followers and will give those a go next week.

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited:
Not 100% positive on the 6.8 but on both my SS I gave up on trying to get the staggered feed mags/followers to work. I switch to the Wyatt's CFE on both and haven't looked back.
I was able to get a staggered feed to work with my SST though. I guess the little less body taper does help for feeding issues.

If it is not the mag box hanging up the rounds, then it must be the action feed rails need widening and shaping.
I had to do this to 3 Win Model 70's to get the WSM cases to feed reliably.
Rem 700's that are normally magnum based also need to be widened to feed correctly.

Not sure if this is your issue or not, but it sounds like it to me.

Cheers.

If it is not the mag box hanging up the rounds, then it must be the action feed rails need widening and shaping.
I had to do this to 3 Win Model 70's to get the WSM cases to feed reliably.
Rem 700's that are normally magnum based also need to be widened to feed correctly.

Not sure if this is your issue or not, but it sounds like it to me.

Cheers.
^^^^^^^^^^ feed rails and ramp width.

I went with the center feed mags Joel makes. After I altered the mags for my 300 WSM no issues. That action is my favorite over my 700's and Deviants.
That's interesting. I'd have thought with all of the back and forth I've had with Joel about this issue he might have mentioned that he himself made a mag box that would fix the issue. I like Wyatt's stuff so not concerned that I had to buy from them, but it would have been nice to know. The folks at Wyatt's were extremely helpful yesterday on the phone and agreed that I'd likely need to open up the feed rails another .01 on each side, even with the centerfeed mag.

I'm having a 6,5 prc being built on one of Joel's actions and had the stock cut for rem 700 bottom metal before I knew about his center feed mag, they look really good. Wished I would have known and I don't want to spend the money for a new stock.