Terminal Performance - results

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 117
The vitals were soup, which is a great outcome. The first shot hit just above the heart and the second shot blew the heart up. If it had not been the rut and the animal wasnt still standing for 20 or so seconds after the first shot, likely i would not have had to shoot him again, but I prefer to put the animal down.

Thank for the info and that's one nice buck

Under 400 yards or so and with that velocity, this is exactly what I would expect to see. I use the 212 ELDX in one of my 300RUM's, but only in areas were I never expect a shot under 400yds and most shots come at 600+yds. In the 260AI, I use the 143 ELDX, and most of those shots are well beyond the 400+ mark.

Straight from the Hornady website:

"With high velocity 0-400 yard impact, the bullet continually expands throughout its penetration path. The thick shank of the jacket and high interlock ring keep the core and jacket together providing 50-60% weight retention"

Sounds like they were about 5% off.... but you are shooting quite a bit higher MV than average. If the deer died quickly, I would say the bullet did its job. If you measure a bullets performance by how much weight it retained, then you aren't shooting the best bullet for that.
I would say it didn't die quickly if the op recovered TWO bullets from it.... 🤗

I think this will be funny , and be incorrect , to most of you, but my Whitetail deer load, in my 270 Win. using 130 Grn Nosler ballistic tip, at a Muz. Vel of 3050 fps, at a range that has not exceeded 150 yards, there is nothing left of the projectile to even put together and take a picture of . The deer's heart and lungs are usually completely blown apart and some time copper fragments are found in the heart even if hit lungs . I assume that's from hitting a rib bone as it enters . No exit hole ever. I would not use that bullet on Elk or any large body game, but on Deer and Antelope sized game , this seems to work very well for me. I'm completely open to criticism !!!! Thanks Guys

I think this will be funny , and be incorrect , to most of you, but my Whitetail deer load, in my 270 Win. using 130 Grn Nosler ballistic tip, at a Muz. Vel of 3050 fps, at a range that has not exceeded 150 yards, there is nothing left of the projectile to even put together and take a picture of . The deer's heart and lungs are usually completely blown apart and some time copper fragments are found in the heart even if hit lungs . I assume that's from hitting a rib bone as it enters . No exit hole ever. I would not use that bullet on Elk or any large body game, but on Deer and Antelope sized game , this seems to work very well for me. I'm completely open to criticism !!!! Thanks Guys
Don't know what anyone would criticize. With that explosive, grenade effect, it would seem they drop instantly as if their strings were cut...

I hope this isnt offensive but I have hunted 2 farms for 30 years and have experimented with many bullets and velocities. We shot high B.C. bullets that cut through the wind and they also had high sectional density (long and skinny) and so many of these permitted the deer to run into thick brush and no fun to track a deer when starting to get dark. One was hit in lungs and ran over 400 yards. Found out that higher velocity and less b.c. (relation diameter to length) was much better scenario. 125 bt @ 4050 muzzle velocity even at 600 yards the bullet comes apart a d does severe damage. One in particular @310 yards made a basketball size entrance hole (hit a rib) and just a tad bigger offside when leed off hide. There was a hole on exit where the base came on out. Also use a 338 180 grn Accubond at 3750 fps. Almost as good and these deer drop. Another deer @560 yards and it dropped. No bullet left and no ex oh t hole. Many more events but better stop. Might not work for you but works good for us.
Concur to a point, I consider long range (for me) anything beyond 800 yds. My last for elk taken all in the last four years have been out past 1.047 yds. The lower BC Bullets will not preform well enough and retain critical velocities and enough energy at those distances, unless I switch to using my .416 or 50 Barrett.

The 175 eldx is my bullet of choice for my 28 nosler. Mine are going 3180 and Im very happy with the performance. Ive used them on bears, moose, elk, mule deer and white tails so far. They do shed weight up close but at longer ranges they mushroom perfectly. Everything has dropped dead on the spot. Ive been using them for the last four years. I dont really worry about whats left of the bullet when the animal drops dead on the spot. Just my two bits

Exploding bullets work great as long as you hit the heart/lungs. If you don't, you may have a mortally wounded critter with little or no blood trail.

You could go with a heavier 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip, it would exit and you would still get a lot of explosive effect.

Recent Posts