Terminal Performance - Accubond vs SST

kiwicharlie

Which projectile of the two has the best terminal performance on deer/similar sized animals?
Weighing up between the two for a 270wsm load.

I shot a deer with a SST, broadside bottom of lungs. The bullet broke ribs on both entrance and exit. There was good damage to the lungs and there was a lot of frag and a permanent wound channel in the top of the heart as well. Exit hole was about 2 inches in diameter. The deer went about 25 yards, laid down and was out. I estimate about 5 seconds from impact to unconsciousness (was watching deer the entire time). Bullet used was 7mm 154 gr SST, velocity at impact would have been just shy of 2800 fps.

I have had good accuracy with both, but have not tried the Accubond on game yet.

On a side note, most of the prices I've seen for .277 mm bullets have Accubond at about 2X the price of the SST. Brings another point to my mind, Berger VLDs are about halfway between the price of the two you are comparing.. Don't want to get too far off your question, but couldn't resist ;)

Last edited:
It would be better to compare the Accubond with the Hornady Interbond. They are of the same quality standard.

The Interbond is a much more accurate bullet at long range than the SST. It also shoots flatter than the SST. The SST is still a good game bullet.

The main thing that the SST has going for it is that it is cheap.

I have taken several deer with both bullets. While both are very effective on deer I find the AB to be generally more accurate in most of my rifles. The AB is also the tougher of the two, but that shouldn't come as a suprise since it is a bonded bullet and the SST is not.

Bottom line though, either will put a deer down in short order with proper bullet placement.

Chris

i have no experience with hornady bullets but have good experience with accubonds in my 280 rem...2 blacktail at 200 yds no meat damage both drt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.