Terminal Energy Required to Kill Game

No I have reasearched this very thorughly and in Collisions FPE is not conserved. Accept it or not it matters not to me, but it is the case...

Again, as predicted, you did not read the response very closely.... no one has said that FPE is conserved.

This is not the case. While KE is not conserved, I have yet to find a physics book that says it's converted mostly into thermal energy. However, I have read where most of it's converted into damage to the colliding bodies. I'm not a physics professor but I work next to one as a adjunct math instructor. I'll ask Dr. Hannigton the next time I run into him.

JWP475 it's clear you are not reading the replies in this thread (and others) or the book you reference very closely. I suspect that this will continue.

Also,just because energy is defined in Joules doesn't mean the transfer is to thermal energy.

Yes I am reading, but you are not understanding.. Yes it is mostly transferd into Thermal energy and since energy is not conserved and momentum is, then it is the momentum that is transferd...

Dam guys lighten up !!

I told you this would never be settled.

But I can tell you one thing ,When I was a young boy and did'nt
all ways behave my parents would give me the choice of weapons that
would be used to line me out and I would allways choose a willow switch,
(very light,with high velocity and low energy)without any knowledge of
such things but I did know enough to stay away from baseball bats
tire tools and crowbars.(Heavy, slow and with lots of energy) because they
would remove pieces from your body.

Just kidding guy's
J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
More is better than less

If I won't stop reading these posts anytime soon, I'll have a Master Degree in Physics and Mathematics. However, I will always agree that the larger/faster/heavier/more energy bullet will kill better and quicker then the smaller/slower/lighter/less energy bullet will.

Peter

Last edited:
you guys are all arguing about something and forgetting a critical kinetic energy factor. torsional energy. this arguement as far as i am concerned was settled many years ago by a guy named P.O. Ackley. he was one of the first to recognize hydralic shock and document it's affects. he found out that it wasnt just due to the speed of the bullet, altho, it did occur far more often above 3 times the speed of sound. however, it also occured when the same bullet often dropped below 1000 fps and less than 850 ft/# of energy retained. he dropped wild asses out past 700 yards with a 220 swift. standard 55 gr. bullet. any of you guys will see that the energy-kinetic or otherwise described is pathetic at that range. those very tough animals went down like they were poleaxed. same hydralic shock affect as if they were at muzzle velocity range. he postulated (and this is the ONLY explaination i have heard that makes sense to what i have seen in the real world) is that the torsional energy developed by a bullet doing 4000 fps at 1-12 twist would be from doing 240,000 rpms. these rpms do NOT decrease with range and i would agree with him that this would explain the tremendous destruction i have witnessed at very long ranges. i shot 3 caribou with a 300 WM , 200 gr SGK at 2900 FPS over 1300 yards. one shot blew a front quarter off, a second caribou lost a hind quarter and the third was almost cut in half.
all the formulas you guys come up with wont do a thing because you failed to factor in the crucial "kinetic energy" that doesnt slow down with distance. RPM's. took an old guy years to answer that one. all the formulas given dont explain the destruction of the game by a projectile doing less than 1000 fps.
the same reasoning i have applied to other things as well. shoot the thing. if the bullet tumbles going subsonic, try another type, twist, etc. not all tumble and the jury is still out on why as no particular formula tells us why.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.