Term for when you double lung an animal,

Walleye Steve

I have once shot a bull thru both lungs and a doe the same and had both die almost immediately from the bullet sucking the sir out of the kings. What is this called? Thank you

I call it "Dead". :)

The term you were looking for however is Hydro-static shock. It is the efect created by high velocity rounds, above 2600 fps and really noticeable above 3200 fps that move the liquids creating a much bigger wound and blood shot channel than the same bullet at lower velocity. You see it really well shooting stuff with a 257 Bee at 3700 fps.

Last edited:
I call it "Dead". :)

The term you were looking for however is Hydro-static shock. It is the efect created by high velocity rounds, above 2600 fps and really noticeable above 3200 fps that move the liquids creating a much bigger wound and blood shot channel than the same bullet at lower velocity. You see it really well shooting stuff wioth a 257 Bee at 3700 fps.
Thank you

Doubled lung shot what we always called it

Thanks
Buck
Yep!

2019 WT doe 3 of 3.jpg

I don't believe that there is such a thing as "hyper static shock". Did you mean hydrostatic shock? I believe that hydrostatic shock is often used to describe the fluid shock wave created in the body by high velocity bullet impacts.
This may, or may not, be a correct use of the term but it is often used by hunters.

Hydro static is still fluid meaning not moving. Interesting reading from the FBI on "Hydro static shock"
The more correct name would be Hydrodynamic shock but the commonly used one is Hydrostatic shock. As to the FBI writing, their recommendation on penetration versus shock was in the choosing of PISTOL ammo. Since no pistol ammo commonly used for self defense or policing that I know of runs at 2600 fps, penetration would be the right metric. I know not everyone believes the theory of Hydrostatic shock but all you have to do is look at the insides of a Deer shot with a 257 Bee and an 80 Grain TSX. That foot and a half wide blood shot wound channel wasn't caused by the bullet blowing up so something else is clearly at work. I would like to hear the alternate explanation for the damage.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.