Tent recommendations

Bmccart

I'm going to purchase my own tent and start making a trip out west every year. Looking for recommendations and what to stay away from. Looking for something to sleep 4-6 people and have room to breathe, weight isn't a huge issue, trying to keep it less than $2k. Been really looking at the Cabela's Alaknak 13x27. Any other recommendations?

I have used a wall tent multiple times. They take at least two people to setup. I will get the name of the manufacturer later for you. The biggest thing I would suggest you investigate is a wood burning stove to go in the tent with smoke pipes, etc. Having that stove is wonderful on cold nights and even better in the morning. We used them in the High Unita Mountains at 9,000 feet and up higher for years. I can get more information if you would like

I hear your qualifications and I understand what you're asking for but I would ask you to consider whether you really want 4 - 6 sleeping, snoring, adults under the same roof in a small, new (relatively unknown), tight area. Any one of them gets up to pee it's 100% possible that, in the middle of the night in a smaller, unknown, tight area, they're going to wake everyone under the roof. Especially without a lot of white noise.

4 people in any size tent with all your gear and room to breathe is about max.
Weight not being an issue I would opt wall tent with 5' sides

Davis tent in Denver colorado makes a great wall tent. I have a 14x16. 4 guys plus a stove, wood, and gear is about all it would hold, and it would be tight. I opted for the internal frame and I can easily set it up by myself in less than an hour. You can get it miserably hot inside with a properly sized stove. I just had it in Wyoming in -15° temps and we were very comfortable.

We use the Alaknak and Bighorn models in all conditions. The fabric is quite different from canvas and a bit lighter in weight. The window features in all models help with condensation control.

I suppose an additional question would be: do you want to add "rooms" like a kitchen area and whatnot? Or are you just sleeping in there?

lots of reputable tents out there, but like many things, the best one for you depends on your expected real-world usage requirements/desires.

I'm going to purchase my own tent and start making a trip out west every year. Looking for recommendations and what to stay away from. Looking for something to sleep 4-6 people and have room to breathe, weight isn't a huge issue, trying to keep it less than $2k. Been really looking at the Cabela's Alaknak 13x27. Any other recommendations?
The alaknak is a great tent, but keep in mind that the 13x27 is huge and the guy lines will extend alot from the tent. You'll need a 1/2 acre spot to set it up.

I would by 1 Davis Wall Tent in the 12x14 size range. Go check out their website. Your crew mostly likely will back out on you, if you are all new to western hunting. The 12x14 will sleep 2 people well. Get another member of you crew to buy another tent. That way, when you are the last remaining member of your crew and you are traveling / hunting solo, you can still set up the 12x14 alone. Also, it will be easier to sell vs a gigantic tent if you decide to go another route.

I would get the 12x14 also, not sure if the still do but they used to have sleeping pods you could zip on the sides to fit more people

Having bought two canvas tents cause of someone backing out last minute, these are all bad ideas. Get a seek or kifaru tipi. Much lighter and easier to set up. With seek you can get an 8 man tipi which fits 3 with stove, 12,16, or 32 person tipis and you can pick up an ultralight stove if you want to hike backcountry with a smaller tipi that can be broken up into components to share the load. The downside to tipis is that you do not want them to get loaded down with snow. Canvas wall tents would be better if expecting heavy snow.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.