Tent and Sleeping Bag

A good pad is key. Get the highest R value pad you can get your hands on.

I just upgraded to the rectangle neo air x therm. I had the one that tapered down and was always rolling off it if I didn't sleep perfectly still.
Amen to this. The only big bulky thing I still pack is my mig old honkin therma rest pad.

Just got sick of thin, poorly designed, or small pads. My foray into a taper pad lasted one trip. Works for some... not for me.

Try and get to a store that has lots of ones to try, folks opinion pads vary. Some of the air chamber designs are loved by some and hated by others, it's worth trying them out.

Eureka made some good 4 season tents. Any good bag on a good foam insulation pad - don't skimp on the pad.

Mountain hardware makes some good zero degree bag options that are light weight and compact. As for tents, a lot depends on if you are backpacking or truck hunting....

For late season Cascades hunts I use a Nemo Tensor insulated rectangular 25" pad (there is also an uninsulated version, so be careful which one you get), a Marmot Never Summer 0°F bag with fleece liner to take it down to -15°F, and a Marmot Fortress 2P tent. For our high buck hunt in September, I switch out the Marmot tent for a MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2P tent with carbon poles and leave the liner at home.

The Marmot Fortress is a 3+ season tent. Kind of in-between a 3 season and 4 season tent.

Just got the klymit KSB xl sleeping bag at the start of the season it's fantastic.
Tent we used a seek with stove also pretty hard beat but expensive. My cousin brought that other wise we would have been using a little kelty something… that works fine but that hot tent was game changer.

I'll throw in here some. A rule I follow for cars shoes and things I sleep on. Never go try them out rested and feeling good. Go after work or sore cause that's how your going to end up on or in them.

I'll throw in here some. A rule I follow for cars shoes and things I sleep on. Never go try them out rested and feeling good. Go after work or sore cause that's how your going to end up on or in them.
I agree however, it's awful hard to go out gear shopping when you are completely spent. But it would be a best case scenario.