Tent and Sleeping Bag

idcwby

There are three of us going to do a November hunt off our backs, we've done this stuff before just not this late in the year. What is everyone using for a lightweight tent and sleeping bag in the 0 degree range?

We are only doing 3-4 days this time, so weight is important as always but not counting ounces like on a 10 day hunt. Don't want to break the bank either in something we may only use a couple times.

There are three of us going to do a November hunt off our backs, we've done this stuff before just not this late in the year. What is everyone using for a lightweight tent and sleeping bag in the 0 degree range?
I know you said off your back, but that seems to vary from person to person depending who you ask…

Depending how far you want to go, the terrain, and how in shape, or not…you are in, would probably determine how light do you want to go,

Most normal people affordable backpacking tents in the $150-500 range will be about 3.5 to 5 lbs trail weight on average. If you need a snow load then you'll be looking at the heavier side, and more expensive…you'll have more options in a 4 season setup.

Price point matters too, because carbon fiber rod light/"ultralight" tents get pricey right quick. Lastly I recommend at least a double wall tent, especially if you are doing a expeditionary style pack hunt. Single wall tents for me have always frosted at night.

Sleeping bags, it's hard to beat a insulated pad and a down sleeping bag or quilt. Make sure you know the rating. There's two standards, comfort and survival. Make sure you read comfort.

If you expect to be wet, or have a down allergy then I would consider a more expensive lighting synthetic bag and water proof compression sack.

I run a 0° quilt from enlightened equipment and a seek outside hot tent.

I have used my 0° bag in -10° and been comfortable with my down pants and down parka on.

Hot tent is a must in cold, wet, conditions. It's nice to be able to dry gear out. Stove and tent can be split amongst the group.

Can't speak on a tent, wife and I've bought a couple and so far haven't been super happy with any of them, so I'll watch where this thread goes as I'm keen to find one without having to suck it up and go hilleburg.

Before I found a bag that fit my length and feet I found the best intermediary, and sheep shape hit on it. Down undergarments. I bought some ugly color mountain hardwear ghost whisper pants and a top for sleeping in. Was able to make do for a long time with my 18f rated bag down as cold as most like to go. They roll up tiny and the combo is insanely light.

I know you said off your back, but that seems to vary from person to person depending who you ask…

Depending how far you want to go, the terrain, and how in shape, or not…you are in, would probably determine how light do you want to go,

Most normal people affordable backpacking tents in the $150-500 range will be about 3.5 to 5 lbs trail weight on average. If you need a snow load then you'll be looking at the heavier side, and more expensive…you'll have more options in a 4 season setup.

Price point matters too, because carbon fiber rod light/"ultralight" tents get pricey right quick. Lastly I recommend at least a double wall tent, especially if you are doing a expeditionary style pack hunt. Single wall tents for me have always frosted at night.

Sleeping bags, it's hard to beat a insulated pad and a down sleeping bag or quilt. Make sure you know the rating. There's two standards, comfort and survival. Make sure you read comfort.

If you expect to be wet, or have a down allergy then I would consider a more expensive lighting synthetic bag and water proof compression sack.
I was thinking we would end up with about 50lbs on our backs for 3-4 days. It definitely sounds like I need to upgrade my pad.

I was thinking we would end up with about 50lbs on our backs for 3-4 days. It definitely sounds like I need to upgrade my pad.
That's a little more than my base weight for 5 days, but about where I am after packing food (with 3 season gear).

An insulated pad can definitely help. I use the Nemo tensor. It's been a solid pad for me.

Should be able to find a Hilleburg 4 season(red label) for a pretty good discount in the used arena. I got a Nallo 3 for less than half price(300 vs 800+) a couple years ago or so that only had a couple trips on it. 6lb packaged. 2 guys could do ok in it, nice and roomy for one. Use a REI insulated pad, 5.7 R-value, and it's been good, as well as a Klymut insulated pads sometimes if not an REI person.

A small backpack style gas lantern really warms that tent in a couple minutes. Not designed for a stove.

My rules: Get a bag rated at least 1 heat rage lower than you need. Must have a water proof bag cover-think goretex type. Always use a 2 layer tent. Liner optional. Always plan for rain. No matter where you are. 3 day outing, 6 pairs of socks. Ground pad is a must. These are the absolute must haves. Oh yeah, the thing lots of people forget, CHECK THE WEATHER. Just my 2$ worth. Good luck and have fun. Report back with the outing results.