Tempilaq--How Much

newmexkid

Which of these 3 cases do you think shows the correwxt amount of Tempilaq?

Attachments

• IMGP0841 (640x480).jpg
    IMGP0841 (640x480).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 107
Could be all of the above. What is temp of liquid are you using? Once it starts to turn you're there. As long as you have enough to see the change it doesn't make any difference how much you use in my opinion

I agree with cowboy. I put the Tempilaq on the outside of the case just below the shoulder and use a horizontal strip about the width of the tine on a dinner fork and about 1/8 of an inch long.

cowboy,

Did you buy the Tempilaq in Billings? I am in Laurel and would like to find a local source. I may try Granger, that is where I get my aluminium oxide blasting supplies and Devcon bedding compound. They probably have it or can order it.

Thanks
Ben

definitely suggest using it on the outside of the case. Templaq melts and goes transparent, but leaves a residue. If it's on the inside of the case it may cause some issues. Either messing up the concentricity of the bullets or blowing it down your barrel.

My suggestion is put it on the outside and use acetone/finger nail polish remover to remove any residue after firing them.

xdeano

cowboy,

Did you buy the Tempilaq in Billings? I am in Laurel and would like to find a local source. I may try Granger, that is where I get my aluminium oxide blasting supplies and Devcon bedding compound. They probably have it or can order it.

Thanks
Ben

Ben:
I sent you a PM - check your mail.

definitely suggest using it on the outside of the case. Templaq melts and goes transparent, but leaves a residue. If it's on the inside of the case it may cause some issues. Either messing up the concentricity of the bullets or blowing it down your barrel.

My suggestion is put it on the outside and use acetone/finger nail polish remover to remove any residue after firing them.

xdeano

I don't disagree with what your saying and understand your reasoning.

On the other hand I take the approach that outside surface temp may be much higher than internal ID of the neck depending on your heat source. I put the indicator on the inside of the neck and then I am sure the temp penetrated clear through.

I do use a bronze brush on the necks when I am through and then run them through a tumbler. So far I have seen no signs of templique residue after the fact.

umm. .014" isn't very thick, and if it's melting on the outside, it's going to melt on the inside, just from source sink.

The brass brush isn't a bad idea if you're going to do inside. If it were me, i'd still take some fingernail polish remover on a qtip and rub around the neck to make **** sure you don't have that stuff in there. It could also act like a glue if you do have some crap down there. This will also give you more pressure and mess with your velocities. So if you're having any issues with that down the road, this may be the culprit.

xdeano

Howdy,

All three pictures will work, for that matter, blobs on the outside will work also. There is only like 5 degrees difference between inside and outside because of the thin-ness of the brass and the properties of brass itself.

My process is to put it on the outside with a thin line... the width of the brush. Where I put the Tempilaq on the case or sholder is determined by the temperature of the Tempilaq. 450 goes one caliber down from the sholder on the case body. 600 goes on the body touching the shoulder, and 650 goes on the sholder neck junction. Try to use a small but hot flame. Too large a flame, or some of the newer torches shoot a triangle type flame, causes the heat to spread too much. In other words, your shoulder-body junction could be 650 degrees, but your neck could be 750 degrees. Try to aim your flame at the neck-shoulder junction. Then quench immediately.

I use a little Brasso to remove the residue from the cases afterwards.

Hope this helps some, and good shooting.

Coach

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.