Temperature and load development 7mm rum

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by hunt7112, Dec 10, 2010.

1. hunt7112

hunt7112 Member

New to the site but always on hear reading the good info.
    I now have a question for anyone who could help. I live down in south central AZ where it is usually hot year round. I developed my 7mm RUM load in august and early september trying to catch the cooler times of the day if I was lucky it would be 87 to 90 degrees.

My load is 86 gn of IMR7828 with federal 215 and 150 scirocco I averaged 3360 fps

I shot the other day in temps of 65-67 degrees is it normal to lose 130fps in cooler temps, and would I be better off developing my load at closer temps to what we would most likely see during our fall hunts.

Thanks for any info.

2. ReachnOut

ReachnOut Well-Known Member

Your velocity drop is not unusual with the 30+ degree drop in temperature due to the significant rise in air density with the cooler temps. I shoot in far ranging temps and don't adjust my sight in for a specific change other than being aware of the loss or gain and mentally making he adjustment. Under a couple of hundred yards, you probably wouldn't notice a significant change in the point of impact. Over 500 you need to start paying attention.

3. hunt7112

hunt7112 Member

Thanks for your reply, and I found tons more info above. Should have searched a little more from the beginning.

4. LRSickle

LRSickle Well-Known Member

Rl22 is another powder that is temperuture sensitive. A time to be cautious is when your shooting a load that's close to max. If you take it out in hot weather you might have some problems.