Temp stable .270 wsm powder

Rifles are like my various wives. All have different preferences.

When I can get RL19, i to h4350. When I can't get RL22, I go to 4831.

expansion ratio should be thought about.

while my 270 WSM likes RL22, my hunting pals new 300 WSM loves 760.

take your spare press and chronograph to the range, find an acceptable velocity with low ES and SD, then mess with searing depth.

for competition rifles i do a ladder test but for hunting rifles that is what I do

I'm looking for powders to start load development on a short barreled .270 wsm with 140 berger classic hunters. (I don't know how short the barrel is gunna be yet, I plan to chronograph it at 26 inches and decide how much I am willing to lose from there). I can find some load data that should work for h1000 which will be a good starting place being as it shoots well from my 7 mag but H1000 is in short supply right now. I have lists of load data I just don't know adam from eve when it comes to powders. I am looking for temp stability first and velocity second. Im seeing re 26, aa magpro, ramshot, n560, 7828 ssc. Any ideas which powders I should be looking for?
I have had very good luck with h4350. On my 4th 270wsm

Rifles are like my various wives. All have different preferences.

When I can get RL19, i to h4350. When I can't get RL22, I go to 4831.

expansion ratio should be thought about.

while my 270 WSM likes RL22, my hunting pals new 300 WSM loves 760.

take your spare press and chronograph to the range, find an acceptable velocity with low ES and SD, then mess with searing depth.

for competition rifles i do a ladder test but for hunting rifles that is what I do
I hope you eventually found a stable one my friend. 😂

I'm looking for powders to start load development on a short barreled .270 wsm with 140 berger classic hunters. (I don't know how short the barrel is gunna be yet, I plan to chronograph it at 26 inches and decide how much I am willing to lose from there). I can find some load data that should work for h1000 which will be a good starting place being as it shoots well from my 7 mag but H1000 is in short supply right now. I have lists of load data I just don't know adam from eve when it comes to powders. I am looking for temp stability first and velocity second. Im seeing re 26, aa magpro, ramshot, n560, 7828 ssc. Any ideas which powders I should be looking for?
Hey Buddro I saw your post and I'm currently trying to find some for my 270win.. It's availability! IMR has some new powders that aren't effected by temp swings, check'em out.. I'm looking at IMR7977. I hunt Az., and elevation/temperature can change quickly. What happens when you zero your firearm at 2,000ft elevation and 105 degrees in Sept. and plan to hunt at 6,500' and 40 degrees in Oct? Da!
There are some other 270wsm - http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

H4831SC has been a great powder and I have not had any temp issues with it. Have used in hot weather in south Texas to 10 degrees F in Montana. It has kept consistent. Best of luck

Retumbo and H1000 have been good to me, I tried Magpro behind the Matrix 165's and velocity's were all over the place, quickly shelved the magpro!

R22 works very well

Excuse my ignorance but exatcly what does this table mean
Cheers

The table gives an estimate of how much MV changes over temperature (temperature stability). For example: If you shoot H1000 @ 32˚ at a given velocity and then shoot it at 82˚ the MV will change by 0.21 X (82-32) = 10.5 FPS. If you shoot IMR4320 under the same conditions the MV changes by 1.32 X (82-32) = 66 fps.

I hope that helps.

This chart is gold. Thanks for sharing.

I use it at home to input initial parameters into my MV/TEMP chart which is used in my ballistics calculator. Not recommending any particular powder. I just want to know how it performs and then validate at the range. Thanks. JD

That's a mighty cool looking table. Do you mind if I ask where it comes from, who generated it and how? Also what the two columns mean? I see the right side says something about 50 degree and up so left side is a larger temp range and right is moderate to high temp?

looks like the thing to do is just hold out for more h1000, maybe try re 23 if I stumble over it and if I cant find anything in time for my october hunt I'll set up a load for re 22 or retumbo and test it I'm temps that represent what I expect to see in oct.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.