Telling the distance? using parallex adjustments

Crosman

I have a Tasco Tactical 10X 42 Mil-Dot, till now I don't know how to use the Mil-Dot rectile, I've only had it for 1 week now.

Thats not the issue, the scope it self has a parallex setting 10m -> infinity, I noticed that by just adjusting the parallex I can tell approx. the distance to the target.

Where ever the target is, I keep adjusting the parallex till I get a sharp picture with a sharp cross, then when I am sure this is as sharp as it gets I look at the adjustment to see the distance mark, then compare it to the real distance of the target and pretty much 100% of the time I get the distance right.

my question is, is that a valid way to tell the distance to the target? Because I find this a more efficient way than a range finder, hence you don't have to leave you rifle for one second.

With my scope I can get accurate results up to 500m, after that all it says on the adjustment mark is infinity, but atleast you know its more than 500m.

If you have checked your method against measured distances and found that they agree, you are the luckiest person around. Most time the paralax range markings are "reference only".

Crosman:

RBrowning has the truth of it with reference only. Depending upon the maximum ranges you will shoot, and your applications [hunting/paper punch'n] you may get by without a rangefinder if you spend enough time shooting and establishing zeros. The cartridge in question will also have an effect [out to 500, this effect will not be critical, and if you can determine a ranging system the will give you +/- 15 yards accuracy out to 500, count your blessings.] I would definitely advise you to test your "method" under any and all light conditions! And here all the while I thought my Nightforce was necessary...
rolleyes.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts