Tell what I’m doing wrong.

Ok, start over. DO NOT set the die to the shellholder. That is to take the case back to SAAMI and might be pushing the shoulders back too far and the shoulder junction pushes out. I have seen that. Start off the shellholder one turn( that is the way hornady recommends for max accuracy and case life in their videos) and size one case, measure and see if it chambers. Move the die about 1/16 turn and resize new case. You need to work back down. Now if that is not the fix then die is too long and have smith take about .015 off the bottom. It can only be about 3-4 things.

Key is measuring what you are doing and seeing what is moving if at all.

1. Case is too long, trim.
2. Pushing shoulders out due to pushing the shoulders back too far.
3. Case body about .250 above rim is not being sized enough. You need about .001-.002 here.
4. Die is too long.

Last edited:
I've fought this with 3 different guns. I contacted rcbs with the first one I'd done everything possible I could think of . Their tech I spoke to on the phone suggested backing the die off not to touch the shell holder , then to gently turn it back in to just kiss it . Then turn in another 1/2 turn give a lot more camover I will say this has fixed my problem all 3 times . Mine were a 243 338 win mag and my one 300 win

Do you actually have a headspace gauge to measure what is going on at the datum??

Doesn't matter the brand of die I still use the same process.

Write down the measurement on factory unfired round/case(or just use SAAMI length if there is one).

As I mostly neck size so I measure a case that is starting to take a bit of effort to close the bolt(around 5 firings).

Adjust the die down until I get 1 or 2 thou clearance at the datum.

Some of the dies had to be in cam over to get this which is not how they say to set up a die.
The case will be stretched before you get to that point.

Write these measurements down in your reloading log book FFR.

Not that I am saying anything already said. Maybe a minimum chamber and a maximum die. I have encountered this myself. I just put my die on the side of a grinder wheel as perpendicular as possible and just took a touch off the bottom of the die. Presto. A fine grinding wheel. Or a belt sander with a fine belt on it. I have a knife sharpening belt sander that makes it very easy. Then start with the die in the press a bit high and try and keep moving the die down until it chambers easy and you are there.

This is an ongoing problem with hornady spec dies on the PRC ( although i will admit my match grade dies are good to go on my prc) ! do a search on this subject and its been covered very in depth ..
basically some here along the lines either the spec on chamber reamers go outta whack or the die reamers either way your webb isnt being sized enough

Do you crimp your bullets? If you do you could be causing a neck deformation that interferes with chambering and bolt closure.
Do you trim all of your brass? Firing and sizing can stretch a brass case causing this problem.
I use a Lyman Chamber gauge. See the attached picture. Out of every 100 rounds loaded I may find one that won't chamber with hard bolt closure. They will fail in this gauge. I pull the bullets, reclaim the powder, take measurements, full length resize the put them in this gauge again, if they still have a problem I measure the length and trim if necessary. I always chamfer the inside and outside of the case neck. Usually I fix what was wrong with the case and it functions properly. If not I put it into a scrap bucket with a note on it. My shooting range has occasional meetings where "anomalies" are discussed. That case will be one of the anomalies.
gauge.png

Been reloading multiple calibers for 20+ years. I am full length resizing 6.5 PRC brass with Hornady die. Multiple resized empty cases have stiff bolt closure. No matter their length. Per Hornady instructions the die is bottomed out on the shell holder. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

I a question:
Do you have a precision mic for your 6.5PRC? if not; get one. make sure what is going on without going through a whole lot of processes. mic your brass, take a fired case from your chamber, mic it. find out where the shoulder is in relationship to the SAAMI spec. that will give you a standard for your ammo's shoulder. now mic a new piece of brass, mic your resized brass this will give you how far off your dies are from your chamber. this also will tell you if it your dies, or your chamber that is at fault. then you can take the appropriate action.

turning the die further into the press for a more stout "cam over" won't definitively address your problem.... but, if you keep lowering the die further and further, as suggested, for an even more stout "cam over", you will definitively ruin your press.... try the feeler gauge, you might just save having to grind a shell holder and or die....

Thanks everybody. I measured my 3 shell holders with them being .493,.496 and .504.
Used the 493 and set the die tight against the shell holder but not enough to cam over. This seems to have fixed the issue. Oh and I cleaned the inside of the die. See pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Thanks everybody. I measured my 3 shell holders with them being .493,.496 and .504.
Used the 493 and set the die tight against the shell holder but not enough to cam over. This seems to have fixed the issue. Oh and I cleaned the inside of the die. See pic

Now you understand why I put the shellholder that works with the die set and it always stays with that die set. Shellholders are cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.