Tell Me About Hog Hunting...

jdouglasj

I've never done it, but I'm ready to give it a go.

I live in Chicago and since I can drive to Missouri, I thought that might make more sense than flying to Arkansas or Texas. Also the ranches I called in MO all stalk their hogs, whereas in TX it was sitting in stands. I'd rather stalk.

As to what I intend to do with the hog, I intend to eat it. Do Razorbacks and Russians taste as good as the feral hogs in Texas, which are much smaller?

But maybe some experienced hog hunters can tell me the best trip to take....

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:
Well, can't speak much for up north, but here in Texas, you can find them any which away your willing to get them. Prices vary from come and get them to several hundred dollars. Some chage a trophy fee some by the pound so be sure you ask plenty of questions up front.

I can suggest this site as one of the more informative ones for hog hunting,
Texas Boars

Sign up and ask questions there as you will find out plenty on whats available and the good and bad on them as well.

Not sure what the differences are between Razorbacks and Russians, but we get them up towards 300# on a fairly regular basis, depending on when and where we're at. My friend place is along the river and plenty of thick stuff for them to hole up in. Dogs, stalking, stand sitting all work out but we for the most part go in after them with handguns, or snipe them as we slowly ride around checking fences. We got a couple from our family place a couple of weeks back that ate just fine. One was pushing 250# and the other was about 30#.

Also not sure what the regs are in the other states but here you can hunt them 24/7/365, no limit other than how many rounds you have or how much the joint charges, and the size of your bank account. There are even a few operations offering night only hunting with night vision scopes and such. Like I said check out the site above and you will find plenty of options available.

Try and find the one that lets you take the most whether your hauling them home or sharing with others. We need all the help we can get. I know the drive might be rough, but your after hogs, your at least guaranteed on most places to get something one way or another, so come on down and have a ball.

Check out the links to my pic's for a few of the ones we get. They aren't all that big but they fill up the freezer with regularity.

Find a good butcher or processor who will make you some sausage. I have been hog hunting about 10 years and after the first hunt and attempt to cook the chops and steaks I had made, I changed to sausage and have been relatively happy. My guy mixes domestic fat with the wild pork and then does medium spice Italian. Over the years I have had quite a few people who swore they hated the taste of wild game "absolutely love" these sausages. I still do a few choice cuts but mostly sausage now.
You should ask Boss Hoss...they are his favorite game animal!!!! He has a special place in his heart for them! :D JK...he really despises them! 30-338

30-338,

I initially thought I would just roast the good cuts and then make a lot of pulled pork sandwiches. Everyone likes to tell me how this tastes so much better than the pork I buy at the store. Not true? Is it a gamey flavor if you don't find a butcher who can spice it up?

I've hunted here Loshbough Hunting Range 3 times before. You can either stalk, hunt from stands or they can run them with dogs. Definately not long range shooting, although you could get 200 Yds if you are there before the shrubs leaf out.

They don't provide food, but have a fully outfitted kitchen in the guest house. I figure for the price difference, I can cook my own meals, or run the 15 miles to town.

There is a local processor that makes fantastic sausage, plus they vaccum pack the other cuts of meat.

I've found that if you shoot a big boar, they might taste gamey, but a sow tastes no different than store bought pork to me.

From Chicago, take 80/94 to 65 South, that gets you most of the way there.

Good down to earth people.

I'll sit in a stand overlooking a field one morning, and spot/stalk the rest of the time. The smallest one that I've taken has been right around 250#. Just take your time and hunt 'em like a wary whitetail.

I've seen them scent us at over 200 Yds and take off, never to be seen again.

Daniel has the key to the cooler at the processor, and they take the hog to the cooler ASAP if that's what you want. If you need to leave early the next day, they'll call the processor at home and get them working on it first thing the next morning. One year 3 of us had to leave Monday morning, and our 3 hogs were done @ 9:00 a.m., sausage and all.

taste of the meat and ...

30-338,

I initially thought I would just roast the good cuts and then make a lot of pulled pork sandwiches. Everyone likes to tell me how this tastes so much better than the pork I buy at the store. Not true? Is it a gamey flavor if you don't find a butcher who can spice it up?

It depends on a lot of variables. My ranch owner friend swears that "store bought" pork tastes anemic to him because he has been eating wild for so long. But I have had a few that were a little bit "gamey" tasting. A big boar I shot was that way. Size, sex, condition, what they have been eating for food ( I find that hogs in the barley or eating acorns in the fall taste better) all affect the taste. Hogs eating sage or brush will tend to reflect that taste a little. You must also balance the need to thoroughly cook without overcooking. We get regular warnings about tricinosis in the pamphlets.
Maybe that's why I mostly do sausage. Also I am not a skilled cook, so that affects my decision...sausages are easy. I have put the med. spice Italian in a spaghetti sauce I make and that is a nice addition IMHO.
Usually a nice eatin' pig is a sow or boar about 125# to maybe 175#...my experience. And then there is the desire to shoot a big tusker to hang on the wall...Anyway, it is a whole lot of excitement. Use stout bullets whatever caliber you decide...some have shields of cartilage in the front covering them and I have seen em pretty thick. I know a lot of guys have killed em with just about every caliber, but my opinion is that the .270 is the place to start (perhaps a bit smaller but with stout bullets like the Barnes TSX ) Anyway, it is really fun and I bet you like it a bunch..betcha can't just kill one!

Our hogs in TX get over 300#. As far as cooking them, smaller pigs and boars taste great with no prep to the meat. Large boars can get a little rank but the way around that is to soak your meat in a cooler in ice, water, 16oz of lemon juice and 2 cups of white vingar. Soak them for a couple of days until the meat is greyish in color. Change the water once a day. You'll be fine after that!

You can hunt hogs down by Rolla at dear ole Ft Lost in the woods. Looks like they have a big problem with them on base..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.