Teflon Coating on Barrels and Actions

Frankie_2_Times

Does anyone have any experience with coating barrels and actions with the teflon type coating. I've been looking into at new rifles for an hunting trip. I'd like something in stainless because of the weather in Alaska, but being left handed my choices get rather limited. Thought about having a non-stainless rifle coated. (see http://www.blackicecoatings.com/Index.html). Thanks.

Stainless can be teflon coated. When I build my 308, I had the gunsmith teflon coat the barreled action. I like my rifle black or blued. I believed Brownell sell a sprayed on teflon coating, if you don't mind doing the work yourselves. Goodluck
IMGP0365.jpg

IMGP0363.jpg

Good looking setup. Any idea how well the coating lasts and how it performs with respect to keeping things from rusting? What are some of the other coating options guys use when puting camo on their guns?

The gunsmith told me that teflon coating is very durable. The rifle is new so it haven't been field tested yet. I'm planning to take it hunting this year so I'll find out. The barrel is stainless steel while the base is aluminum. The action is chrome molly but as you can see, it's hard to tell the difference.
IMGP0364.jpg

Frankie:

Telflon is good, but on a regular steel bbl, there is no coating in the bore area, you still can get rust there from the salt air. Stainless is the only way to go in that environment. Another great coating is "Gun Kote" KG coatings, the only way it comes off is to bead blast it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.