Teenager’s first buck

thaught

I had the opportunity to guide a youngster on his first deer hunt. I let him use my 6.5 PRC I had built last year. It is a tack driver.
He drew a youth deer tag in unit 23 AZ for any antlered deer. On Wednesday, we went out to one of my favorite spots that we have killed from many times before. After about two hours of glassing, a giant we had never seen before stepped out at 1,050 yards. We made a move and closed the gap to 650 yards on the dot. I had his dad on a spotter to watch the buck's every move. After what seemed like an eternity for him to find the buck in the scope, he had the bucks in his crosshairs. The young man had about 10 seconds before the buck would walk behind a tree and the hunt would be over. Told him to shoot if he had the chance. He shot, the deer fell, and the game was over. He had made one helluva shot on a giant Coues buck. We put the tape on the buck and he scored 110". The kid is ruined for life.

Attachments

• FEF262B1-CEE5-4E12-9BF1-10FAC53B23CC.jpeg
    FEF262B1-CEE5-4E12-9BF1-10FAC53B23CC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 470
Unit 23 is a vast Mecca of game, I had an elk walk up 3meters away in the middle of the night above workman falls. Found bear track and scat in several areas including tracks in soft dirt with a turkey track in the center of the bear prints 4 1/4 toe to spur. My brother has a bear skull he found out there 19 3/4 L+W
Awesome area, good job on passing on the art.

Unit 23 is a vast Mecca of game, I had an elk walk up 3meters away in the middle of the night above workman falls. Found bear track and scat in several areas including tracks in soft dirt with a turkey track in the center of the bear prints 4 1/4 toe to spur. My brother has a bear skull he found out there 19 3/4 L+W
Awesome area, good job on passing on the art.
My family is from Young and we have ranched and hunted it for 5 generations now. It's a special place for sure