Tech info on Bergers new 338 caliber 300 grain Hybrids

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
For those interested in this bullet, please see our blog article which gives an overview of the new bullets features and performance.

A more in-depth ballistic analysis can be found here

Eric Stecker presents a video update on Bergers home page regarding the release of the new bullet:

For ordering information, please call our tech line at (714) 447-5458

Please contact me if you have any questions regarding the information in the material linked above ([email protected])

Thank you,
-Bryan

For those interested in this bullet, please see our blog article which gives an overview of the new bullets features and performance.

A more in-depth ballistic analysis can be found here

Eric Stecker presents a video update on Bergers home page regarding the release of the new bullet:

For ordering information, please call our tech line at (714) 447-5458

Please contact me if you have any questions regarding the information in the material linked above ([email protected])

Thank you,
-Bryan

What is your gut feeling about how this bullet will perform terminally in various hunting scenarios compared to the more proven VLD design?

My 'gut feeling' is that they'll perform similarly to VLD's in other calibers. If they don't fragment/expand the same, they will destabilize/tumble on impact, which is another way to increase frontal area (as opposed to mushrooming) and cause a lot of damage. Regardless of what it does, it's 300 grains of metal that carries a lot of energy. Look how lethal the SMK's are and they're not designed for terminal performance at all.

Berger's official position is that these bullets should not be used for hunting animals until they're properly tested on appropriate media and proven to be suitable.

Thanks Bryan, I was on the Berger site last night looking at the updates, I really like how you guys are keeping us shooters informed with what is going on, I don't know of any other company doing anything like this and just wanted to say Thanks!

I promised my self to have a 338 barrel by the time these bullets came out but no dice, I get to sit and watch. I may order a box just to sit on the self to taunt me till I get that barrel!

Thanks again.

Bryan, keep up the good work!!!!

I did enjoy reading the links you posted.

Thanks!

Bryan,

I notice in the .pdf file above that you list some differnent G1 velocity banded bc's for the 300SMK than what I calculated (perhaps incorrectly) using your book. How did you arrive at a .824 for above 3K?

Sounds like there some variation in testing?

Thanks,

Jon

EDIT: You may want to double check the order of bullet manufactuer listed for the numbers tables below the bar graphs in the 'Retained Energy' and 'Trajectory' graphics.

Last edited:
Jon,

Thanks for pointing out the errors in the tables, I've corrected the order of things and the new report is posted at the same location.

I've tested .338's on only two occasions so far. The results of the first test are published in my book. The results of this second test that included the Berger produced a result that was 4% higher for the SMK than the first time it was tested. Normally my tests are repeatable within 1%, but that seems not to be the case this time. I know that it's harder to accurately measure the BC of a higher BC bullet than a lower BC bullet because of how little velocity is lost, and that's probably the reason for the 4% discrepancy. Honestly I don't know which result is more accurate, the original test or the latest test. The 4% error in BC causes an error in predicted drop of 5" at 1000 yards. I'll be re-testing at some point to try and figure out which result is closer to reality.

-Bryan

Bryan, your writeup was really informative, thank you for it. As mentioned previously Berger does a real service by keeping the public informed. That in and of itself puts Berger a step ahead of other bullet manufacturers IMHO.

Bryan,

Looking at your retained energy charts again...it seemed to me that the numbers were quite low. Running at sea level, 29.53 mmHg pressure and 50% humidity (can't remember that part of the ICAO standard atmos.), 2800fps MV, I get much higher retained KE than that charts show. At 1.5k yds, I get 1463 ft. lbs. KE for the Berger using your G1 velocity banded data in Exbal. Your chart shows 842 ft. lbs. What am I missing?

Jon

This bullet will be made available in 250 grain next. Same ogive and BT, just 50 grains lighter so the G7 BC should be very close to .455*250/300 = .379. The G1 BC will be .891*250/300 = .743.

Jon,
Thanks for pointing out the error in the Energy data. I've corrected the report.

-Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts