Teach me about bottom metal...

nksmfamjp

I have a Zermatt Origin LA. I think it takes Remington long action bottom metal. So, does any long action bottom metal work? ...or how do I know what works?

To add complexity, I would like an AICS mag that is 3.6" long, but uses std 0.473 case heads.

Any ideas? Those are all 300 WM size. Ok for the smaller case head.

Last edited:
Well, looks like PMags will work...so, should I just get the M5 type? Grayboe, Hawkins or badger.....looking for moderate to light weight...PMags compatibility.

What are good bottom metal choices for a Zermatt Origin Long action? I think I want to use AICS centerfeed mags...probably PMags.

#1, DBM will always limit the O.A.L. of the cartridges. The trigger guard assembly just takes up too much space. #2, a short search shows your action is compatible with Rem 700 bottom metal. So, any bottom metal that'll work with a 700 LA should work with what you have. #3, detachable magazines designed for magnum cartridges probably aren't gonna' work with std., .473 case head cartridges.

So, let's assume 6.5x280ai, 6.5x284 or 6.5 Weatherby RPM….this mag has a 3.5 oal, but will width fit?

And I assume it works with any M5 Bottom Metal like:

The action can take cip length, but only long is needed. Is long a fit too?

So, let's assume 6.5x280ai, 6.5x284 or 6.5 Weatherby RPM….this mag has a 3.5 oal, but will width fit?

Yes it will fit in the bottom metal. The links you sent also tell you it will work and what each works with.

72F5B7D6-3BF5-4693-921C-90E9574CF1F7.png
BA17F7EB-D79E-4053-AACB-0DF3CC510946.png

Last edited:
I have a Zermatt Origin LA. I think it takes Remington long action bottom metal. So, does any long action bottom metal work? ...or how do I know what works?

To add complexity, I would like an AICS mag that is 3.6" long, but uses std 0.473 case heads.

Any ideas? Those are all 300 WM size. Ok for the smaller case head.
get the M5 easy no trouble at all I use the AI mags lots of bottom metals out there just get a good one check out redhawk they have good ones for sale

That mag should work with the 6.5 x 280ai, but probably not the other 2 unless you are willing to make mag lip modifications. And I don't know how hard or how easy that might be done on a P-Mag. The case body is just enough bigger in diameter that I'm thinkin' the feed lips would need to be modified. I would opt for a magazine made of metal, so I could bend or modify the lips. I feed 6.5 x 284 from a LA 700 , BDL type magazine without any problems, so box mag length hopefully should not be too much of a problem. I would go with a center feed, for sure.

#1, DBM will always limit the O.A.L. of the cartridges. The trigger guard assembly just takes up too much space. #2, a short search shows your action is compatible with Rem 700 bottom metal. So, any bottom metal that'll work with a 700 LA should work with what you have. #3, detachable magazines designed for magnum cartridges probably aren't gonna' work with std., .473 case head cartridges.