tds-4 or BR reticle?

Billy13032

Hey everyone. I found this forum through some searching and am impressed by what i found, so I had to join!

Here is a few questions for you guys... If you were to buy a scope to go on a .270 what power would you prefer?

Ive decided to go with swarovski but cant decide on the reticle. There are still some tds-4's out there. All the new ones are the BR reticle.
On your experiences which do you prefer?

One last question...z6, ph or pv(not sure what this one is, but some sites have it listed). Im sure they are all good, just didnt know if the optic quality varied much.

Thanks in advance,
Billy:confused:

I have a swaro 4X12X50 with the tds-4 reticle and for shooting out to 500 yards it is my favorite scope, much further than that I prefer to dial shots in. The tds-4 will match up very close with 270 Win. ballistics. With a little field verification and practice it is a very good and reliable setup out to 500 yards or so.

David

Hey Billy

The TDS-4 reticle is supposed to subtend the following on a target at 100 yards:

crosshairs
1.8"
4.7"
8.0"
12.2"

If you zero at 100 yards that would mean:

100 yards - crosshairs
200 yards - 3.6" (2 x 1.8")
300 yards - 14.1" (3 x 4.7")
400 yards - 32" (4 x 8")
500 yards - 61.0" (5 x 12.2")

A 270 trajectory with a slow bullet that would more readily match this reticle like the 150 gr TSX, when zeroed at 100 yards would be:

100 yards - crosshairs
200 yards - 3.3"
300 yards - 12.1"
400 yards - 27.6"
500 yards - 50.5"

Not too close

So if you zero the same bullet at 200 yards then the RETICLE trajectory would be:

200 yards - crosshairs
300 yards - 5.4" (3 x 1.8")
400 yards - 18.8" (4 x 4.7")
500 yards - 40" (5 x 8")
600 yards - 74" (6 x 12.2")

and the BULLET trajectory would be:

200 yards - zeroed
300 yards - 7.2"
400 yards - 21"
500 yards - 42.3"
600 yards - 72.6"

Now if you went to a flatter shooting bullet at a higher velocity in the 270 then that would make the differences at the different ranges more pronounced. I have a regular TDS reticle which is made for a flatter shooter than the TDS-4 and now have it on a 30-06 shooting a 200 gr Accubond zeroed at 100 yards and it is close.

IMO, a better option is to get at Zeiss Conquest RapidZ 800 and go to their website to use their calculator to be able to set the power to put the reticle bars where it will match your specific trajectory.

Either that or get the Kahles MultiZero (I have 2) and you can set your marks to match any trajectory on any rifle you will ever own.

Last edited:
How about a MOA reticule or a Milldot either of thes type reticule work on any rifle to any distance and altitude

was first focal, a more expensive but more vesitile
Hey everyone. I found this forum through some searching and am impressed by what i found, so I had to join!

Here is a few questions for you guys... If you were to buy a scope to go on a .270 what power would you prefer?

Ive decided to go with swarovski but cant decide on the reticle. There are still some tds-4's out there. All the new ones are the BR reticle.
On your experiences which do you prefer?

One last question...z6, ph or pv(not sure what this one is, but some sites have it listed). Im sure they are all good, just didnt know if the optic quality varied much.

Thanks in advance,
Billy:confused:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts