TC Icon or Browning A-bolt in 6.5creedmoor

LightfootE

Looking to buy a new rifle in 6.5creedmoor. I Had my mind set on ordering a TC icon weathershield, only then to find that browning is now offering 6.5creed in their long range hunting rifles.

I have newer handled an Icon so its tough knowing weather I will fall in love or not. A-bolts are hit and miss for me, I like a lot of the features they offers, but the bolt on some of the ones I've handle feel a little clunky.....

I've come to be some what spoiled owning tikkas, I expect rifles to be very accurate first and foremost, then a smooth operating bolt, and a nice light crisp trigger.

From what i have read it seems like the Icon guarantees accuracy like the tikka and also has nice trigger and smooth bolt. On the other hand, the browning is more the style I'm after, laminate stock, long med heavy fluted barrel.........

having never played with either rifle and finding no info on the browning long range hunters, I'm having a tough time making up my mind. Hoping that someone here can give a kick in the butt in the right direction. The rifle will be used mostly as a target/fun rifle but it will also see time in the woods after deer and hogs.

I know someone here is going to recommend Savage, but they are just too ugly and clunky for my picky taste.

thanks a bunch for any help
Eric

Sounds like te only way you will get what you want is to have one of your Tikkas rebarreled to the Creedmore... Why settle?

I have owned a TC icon in thier 30 TC for about 2 years with a Leopold 4.5x12 50ml BC scope on it. I am very impressed whith its acurcey (out to 500 yds) for a factory rifle. The bolt on mine is one of the better that I have shot, again this is all compared to other factory rifles. Perosnal I love the drop out clip and weather shield coating as well. Hope that helps.

Ok well... For those who have shot a TC Icon, how does it compare to the tikka T3 rifles? Better, worse, close?

I've never shot the TC, but did get to handle one at a recent sportsman show. The bolt lift is short and throws nicely. It is very smooth and locks up nice. The trigger was set about 2-2.5# and was very crisp. Ergonomics on the rifle are very nice as well. It comes up well. Pistol grip area is contour nicely giving you a positive grip and somewhat natural feeling. The only thing I didn't like is in the bolt lift after dry firing is it is a little stiff. I don't know if it would wear in and become smoother to lift or if it could use a little polishing. Just what I experienced. Hope this helps. You should really find a dealer and get your hands on all the rifles you are interested in. Just handling one will tell you what you like and don't like. Have you considered a Weatherby? Take a look at the Mark V rifle. They are pretty sweet.

I should also add, if you want an aftermarket stock, you'll be hard pressed to find one do to its proprietary built in bedding system. They are out there, just not sure where.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.