TC Encore 300 RUM

I've had an Encore for over a decade, now primarily it stays in ML configuration. I ran into a problem with the 28" pro hunter barrel in 300 WM. Although accuracy was exceptional, pressure was too much for the frame to handle. It would stretch enough at the critical time and ruin brass. I would get 3 firings at best on a piece of brass before the case would split just above the belt. Didn't matter if I shoulder bumped or neck sizes only.
I didn't load hot, without digging up old data I'd say mild to medium. Velocity was better with the longer tube and shy'd away from going to its full potential. Especially once I noticed the brass issues. I sold the barrel It kicked like a rented mule.

300RUM bolt thrust is far too high for an Encore frame. WSM's are not chambered for same reason. I've had both Contenders and a lot of Encores over the years. Still have Encores for muzzle and my favorite right now is a MGM 24" .357Max barrel. They are unique firearms and you need to acknowledge they are to get the most out of them. They are not bolt guns so you have to work with what they provide and make the best of that.

1- triggers suck. Accuracy will improve dramatically by addressing the trigger. Their lock time is so much slower than a bolt gun so you have to reduce all the variables you can to eliminate target drift as much as possible. I ordered from Bellm a heavier 51# hammer spring (speeds up lock time for hammer rifles by speeding up the drop of hammer) and Heavy Duty firing pin (holds up better to heavier hammer drop) and sear spring assortment. Trigger before sear spring replacement was just about 6 lbs before and was 2 1/2 pounds (which was right on estimate for this spring group) after with RCBS trigger gauge. Directions were outstanding and very easy to follow. Couple of thoughts if anyone is going this route. Use a white towel as the bench mat to keep the small parts from sliding around or taking trip to floor. Made life much easier so you can place parts on towel in order of removal.
2 - forearms need to be isolated from barrel to some extent. Everyone uses O-rings to washers. I cut a 20 ga hull, punch a hole and it fits to barrel profile and still isolates the forearm a little.
3- replaced standard forearm screws with hex head versions and allows to torque to a spec easier.
4- high recoil calibers such as a 300WM may cause the action to open if it is a reload that is maxed out. Simple fix is to replace the barrel recoil lug spring with their 12ga recoil lug spring. It held on 500SW barrel that did open with heavy reloads with no problem. An easy way to remove is using a ratchet clamp wood vise, just clamp behind the pivot hole and the lug, squeeze it down until you can punch out the pin. Replace spring in reverse order.
5 - it is a 7lb rifle so any heavy caliber will kick your *** no different then a bolt gun. Muzzle breaks do work nicely on them.
6- when shooting off a bag, it is unbelievably critical to find the sweet spot under the forearm to rest the barrel each and every time. They are one of the most sensitive rifles I have ever shot for this concern. Once you have the sweet spot they are capable of really good accuracy.
7 - my .357Max will hold MOA out to 200 yds with 190 gr. Fury bullet so it can deliver reasonable accuracy.
8 - I have been thinking of a poor man's LR with it using the .300WM and ordering a barrel from MGM with 1:8 twist, muzzlebrake to shoot the heavier bullets. Or a .270 with same thoughts on twist.

Don't underestimate their accuracy capability, they can be quire good.

A 300 ultra in a T/C sounds like you like pain. I had a stock Rem 700 SPS in 300 ultra and it kicked the crap out of me. The rifle weight was around 7.8pounds, with a small 2.5-10x44 Simmons Aztec scope and Talley ultra light rings. The rifle needed a break install. I ended up selling the rifle after a few boxes of ammunition. Sorry for my long rant. Remember the longer the barrel the more the balance will be off and the idea of a small *** kicking T/C will be gone. If you go this way buy a huge muzzle break and you will probably be okay.
Jason

I have two stainless T/C Prohunter frames and currently three stainless fluted Prohunter barrels all have been shortened from the factory 28" = 25-06 is now 24", my 30-06 and 375H&H barrels are shortened to 22" shortening these barrels has greatly improved the accuracy and handling of these combo's.

I load the 25-06 with Rl25/120gr Nosler SP, 30-06 with 165gr Accubonds @ 2900fps and 210gr Accubond Long Range @ 2550fps the 375H&H barrel is loaded with 250gr TTSX/76 grs RL17 @ 2600fps this light short combo thumps on both ends just loaded another 51 of them last night.

Because I have two Rem 700 LSS rifles chambered in 300RUM & 375RUM I have no desire to have a Prohunter chambered in those chamberings even if the cartridges were able to be chambered in this platform the recoil would be crazy.

I have a 26" barreled 300RUM load 200gr Accubonds and A-Frames @ 3200fps and 21" barreled 375RUM load 260gr Accubonds @ 3020fps, 300gr A-Frames @ 2800fps and 350gr @ 2450fps I don't use muzzle brakes on either rifle.

I'm more of a T/C Contender guy though have 9 carbine frames and 19 barrels.

I've had Contenders since I was 18 yrs old. I think at the time I had every pistol barrel/cal. they made except for .22. Mostly 10 in. Bull and some the hexagon barrel. Had some rifle barrels also. All i have for it now is a 21 in. Bullberry in .25 Bullbery . A 30-30 necked to 25 cal. Has an integral muzzle brake. Kicks like s 22 Hornet. And a 14 in. 35 Rem. And 10 in. Bull in 44 mag.
Years ago I got into Encores . Much stronger frame than contenders and G2 frames. I have in 28 in. Pro Hunter barrels a 308 , 243 and 6.5 Creed. Like the last 2 a lot. I have a 20 in. 460 S&W barrel. It's wicked brutal. Wish it was 24 to 26 in.. I recently had an MGM barrel made in 6.5 PRC. 27 in. One in. Full bull SS with integral m/b .HEAVY ! I sent it back to get it spiral fluted to shave 10 oz... it's a tack driver . Wanted to hunt with it and probably will. Yes, it's true. your barrels will reproduce in the gun safe into different calibers if not careful... :) i think a 300 rum would be too much myself. Sims recoil pads work well. Lik gel.

Last edited:
I have a slight fascination with an Encore for some reason but never owned one. But if I may suggest that a guy can run a significantly longer barrel and be the same length as a regular bolt action rifle.

Sooo... have you considered a 30" 300 Winchester Magnum??? It might match the ballistics of a 26" 300RUM.
I believe they make a 28 in. Pro Hunter in 300 wm.

As already mentioned, the 300 RUM is too much for an Encore frame.

It's not the barrel diameter, but rather the back thrust on the frame that's an issue.

If it was doable safely, SSK/JD Jones would be doing it. I promise you he would. He pushed the limits of the Contender and made that platform perform quite impressively. The Encore limits can be found with factory/SAAMI available calibers.

Even a belted mag case can be at the limits of the Encore frame with regard to back thrust.

I've had a 30-338WM and also a couple 7 Mags in the Encore. My 30-338WM is a 1/2 MOA gun consistently. I've given this barrel to my dear pastor friend who also has a 300 BLk barrel made from the same blank as the 30-338 WM barrel.

The first time a frame pops open on you upon firing, you will then begin to get an understanding of just exactly what the Encore limits are.

If I HAD to have an Encore, I'd personally stay with the case diameter of the 0.473" family of cartridges.

MGM/Virgin Valley at one time offered the WSM cartridges but later recalled all of those barrels. There likely still is one or two floating around out there.

I've had Contenders since I was 18 yrs old. I think at the time I had every pistol barrel/cal. they made except for .22. Mostly 10 in. Bull and some the hexagon barrel. Had some rifle barrels also. All i have for it now is a 21 in. Bullberry in .25 Bullbery . A 30-30 necked to 25 cal. Has an integral muzzle brake. Kicks like s 22 Hornet. And a 14 in. 35 Rem. And 10 in. Bull in 44 mag.l.

I'm in Canada can't hunt with handguns up here so 24 years ago I bought my first Contender carbine it had a 21" barrel in 30-30 had Mike Bellm rechamber it to his 308Bellm wildcat = 150gr @ 2620fps shot my biggest antlered mule deer buck with this combo @ 210 yards.

I have been buying and selling complete Contender rifles - frames - barrels ever since.

My favorite carbine combo's right now and 100% legal to put together here are 14" barreled SSK Ind 338JDJ #2 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps and 375JDJ 225gr JSP @ 2150fps.

I was told by several people in the encore world that the frame could not handle the pressures produced by chamberings larger that the 300WM class. I had Bullberry build myself a 338WM with their integrated muzzle break in a full bull contour. It kicks like my bolt action .308. Just a side note, if you intend to handloadbfor an encore you will have to follow a few different practices than bolt action shooters. Bellm's TC has lots of good information.
What he said x2

I'm in Canada can't hunt with handguns up here so 24 years ago I bought my first Contender carbine it had a 21" barrel in 30-30 had Mike Bellm rechamber it to his 308Bellm wildcat = 150gr @ 2620fps shot my biggest antlered mule deer buck with this combo @ 210 yards.

I have been buying and selling complete Contender rifles - frames - barrels ever since.

My favorite carbine combo's right now and 100% legal to put together here are 14" barreled SSK Ind 338JDJ #2 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps and 375JDJ 225gr JSP @ 2150fps.
Those sound great ! Sad you can't hunt with a pistol there. My super 14 in. Contender which now has a G2 frame in 35 Rem. Is a good shooter. It likes heavier bullets . Don't recall the twist . I really liked Hornady 180 gr. SP SS/PB Interlocks and 200 gr. Spire points. Bought 250 Rem. 150 corelokt once. Couldn't find a load that shot them well.
Congrats on your muley with the 308 Bellm !

I am considering a 300 RUM for my TC Encore I am concerned about recoil with that big magnum and such a light gun, has anyone ever used this combination?
Darin I owned the 300 RUM in a Browning A-Bolt Stalker, weighed just a tad under 7 pounds. That being said, it was brutal when it came to recoil, tack driver no doubt but unrelenting on the shoulder. I sold that weapon and built the TC Encore SS Frame out with the 300 WIN Mag, not too bad but accuracy is worse than a smooth bore slug gun, do a lot of research on the TC before you invest in building your project, pins, stocks etc.. are available to improve accuracy. It sits in the safe, occupies space now. I built a Sendero chambered in the 300 WIN Mag, absolutely love it. The TC, I'm going to sell it along with the .223 barrel that came with it. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.