TBAC ULTRA 7 or Ultra 9?

I have one ultra9 and five ultra7's. So that should tell you where my vote goes. Also have two Ultra5's.

Depends on what you want it for. I don't shoot either one for long strings without ear pro, so the 9's extra performance isn't quite as noticeable. For hunting both are "quiet enough" to not hurt my ears in a hunting scenario of 1-4 shots. The 9 is noticeably quieter, and is really nice. But put 9" on the end of any 24-26" barrel and start walking through trees and you will start thinking HARD about shorter cans and barrels!

The 7 is a good compromise between performance and length/weight. For dedicated hunting I like the Ultra5. For everything else the Ultra7 is my favorite.

I would say this. If you are going to practice without ear pro, then *definatley* get the 9. If you are going to wear ear pro when practicing/target shooting and not when hunting get the 7 (or even the 5).

I have one ultra9 and five ultra7's. So that should tell you where my vote goes. Also have two Ultra5's.

Depends on what you want it for. I don't shoot either one for long strings without ear pro, so the 9's extra performance isn't quite as noticeable. For hunting both are "quiet enough" to not hurt my ears in a hunting scenario of 1-4 shots. The 9 is noticeably quieter, and is really nice. But put 9" on the end of any 24-26" barrel and start walking through trees and you will start thinking HARD about shorter cans and barrels!

The 7 is a good compromise between performance and length/weight. For dedicated hunting I like the Ultra5. For everything else the Ultra7 is my favorite.

I would say this. If you are going to practice without ear pro, then *definatley* get the 9. If you are going to wear ear pro when practicing/target shooting and not when hunting get the 7 (or even the 5).

I've been considering the 223 ultra 7 lately. Shorter, lighter, same reduction as the ultra 9 30 cal. Yes I'm limited to calibers but I only have 22 cal guns threaded anyway. No idea when I'll get a larger caliber with a threaded barrel at this point. If I do I can get another can later. Unless I go with a 7" 6.5.

Can't go wrong with the 7. Most cannot hear the difference in the moment of shooting between the 7 and 9, but on the firing line with multiple shooters going off, then its noticeable. So at that point, consider your use, and pick. Either way, the decision for the TBAC was well-made.

I've owned and shot both the 7" and the 9". I've changed over to all 9" TBAC cans. For me, the difference is very noticeable and worth the 2" difference in length.

direct thread wouldn't work well for my 22-250. It's got such a small shoulder my gunsmith said I'd ruin it fairly quickly torquing a can on and off. So I had him install my 419 hellfire mount. Torqued to spec and loctited in place. In this case the CB is the best option.

That's why I have my small cal. barrels threaded 1/2x28 and larger ones 5/8x24, then use an adapter that permits me to thread my 30-cal. suppressor onto my small barrels -- with very little added weight.

For frequent use I can Loc-Title the adaptor onto the barrel, so the suppressor is hitting the shoulder of the adapter instead of the barrel.

That also permits me to direct-thread my 223 suppressor onto any small barrel. It is pretty much only when I want to suppress 2 small calibers at once that I put my .30-cal suppressor on a small caliber rifle, but that does happen sometimes.

4ehQ.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.