Tasco Custom Shop 8-40x56mm

klallen

I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience with the above scope on any of your long range rigs. How do they work? Any praise for? Comments against? It comes out of Japan, 30mm tube, mil dot reticle, side focus. Thank You. >> klallen

Good Morning MM >> Here's the things that I have heard. The Tasco scope that you showed from Natchez is the new design for the 8-40x56mm MD with the focus built into an adjustable objective. Check the link below from SWFA. The scope I'm interested in getting is the earlier model, with the focus built into the center of the scope near the windage and vertical adjustments. Near as I can tell, these have been discontinued and selling till they run out. These were the scopes made in Japan, and their quality is said to be supurb. Cost was in that $800 range and now selling at SWFA for $299.95. The new model is to be contracted out of a different factory in China. SWFA won't even sale these new ones because of that fact (i.e. quality issues). I have seen two at work on a .22-250 and a 6mm-284. They are sweet scopes but on light kicking rifles. My concern is that I'm looking to put it on a long range rig built around the 7mm RUM. Wondered if anyone had tested them with a cartridge with recoil. If I don't get any answers, I suppose I'll get the scope for $300, have a Holland MB installed for $200, cut the recoil to nill, and still be ahead in $$$.
http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/tasco/index.html

By the way, you still residing in MT? From Great Falls, chat with ya later. >> klallen

klallen,

OK I see the difference. I see these scopes are said to be .50 Cal safe.

I went to High School in Harlowton, and Sidney. Class of 1979. Been in the Marines since May 1979. I'm planning to retire in another 3 years or so. I plan to move to the Great Falls area, Ft Benton area maybe. I'd like to be within 50 miles of the AFB, to take advantage of some of the things I've "earned" over the years.
Who knows, maybe we will burn some powder together sometime down the road.

Good Shootin,

Shane Pitzer "MM"

My neighbor and I bought 2 of the scopes with the adjustable objectives from Natchez.His was nice and clear, mine wasn't, even though I could shoot sub 1/2" groups all day long. At long range it wouldn't clear up. I'm sending it back and ordering the one from SWFA.

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]

I had the one with the focus knob on the side. It SUCKED. I had it mounted on a 22-250 and every time I changed the power adjustment the reticle would rotate left. I sent the scope back, remounted it and the same thing happend, turn the power knob and the reticle would move with it. I sold it to a friend, who sent it back to Tasco again, they returned it with the same problem. That scope has been in the pawn shop for two years now. Don't buy one.

Jim

Good Morning MM >> Here's the things that I have heard. The Tasco scope that you showed from Natchez is the new design for the 8-40x56mm MD with the focus built into an adjustable objective. Check the link below from SWFA. The scope I'm interested in getting is the earlier model, with the focus built into the center of the scope near the windage and vertical adjustments. Near as I can tell, these have been discontinued and selling till they run out. These were the scopes made in Japan, and their quality is said to be supurb. Cost was in that $800 range and now selling at SWFA for $299.95. The new model is to be contracted out of a different factory in China. SWFA won't even sale these new ones because of that fact (i.e. quality issues). I have seen two at work on a .22-250 and a 6mm-284. They are sweet scopes but on light kicking rifles. My concern is that I'm looking to put it on a long range rig built around the 7mm RUM. Wondered if anyone had tested them with a cartridge with recoil. If I don't get any answers, I suppose I'll get the scope for $300, have a Holland MB installed for $200, cut the recoil to nill, and still be ahead in $$$.
Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!

By the way, you still residing in MT? From Great Falls, chat with ya later. >> klallen

$800 dollars. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

To the best of my recall I only paid approx. $400 for one of these scopes. Yes, mine is the model that was manufactured in Japan and it has the SIDE parallex wheel. I have had this scope for a number of years now. Right now it is in the box and not mounted on any gun. It seems to be a very good scope BUT it is SOOOOO big.

I still have this scope.

If I should decide to sell it, what should I ask for it ?

Thanks.

I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience with the above scope on any of your long range rigs. How do they work? Any praise for? Comments against? It comes out of Japan, 30mm tube, mil dot reticle, side focus. Thank You. >> klallen

This is like trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop, you might be able to fool some people but if you have an eye (or a nose ) for quality, you will look elsewhere.
UB

This is like trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop, you might be able to fool some people but if you have an eye (or a nose ) for quality, you will look elsewhere.
UB
I had a 36x mounted on a 308 Baer shooting 250 SMK's out of it and I won a relay at Penn 1000yd and took 2nd place overall in group it held zero good enough to shoot over a 1000 rds in that Baer gun.......SO WHAT'S THAT TELL YA LOLOLOLOL... JUST LIKE A John Deere tractor drivem right service them right they last forever

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.