Targets! What do yours look like?

Jimm

Been thinking about: what size targets
at what distance
and what shape?
That is of course except for Ric Horsts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
(just kidding Ric)
Seriously , I think it would be beneficial for a lot of usjust getting started in this game to see some of the methods used by those here for aiming points that aid in more accurate shooting.As always thanks for any input here, Jim

This is my 100yd target that I drew up on coral draw. The inside of the black circle measures 1/2"

And here is my 700yd target 4" square. This is a high tech target.....LOL supplies needed...one large piece of paper and one black marker.... If you need a piece of large paper go to your local newspaper and they have end rolls of unprinted newspaper we got a roll with several thousand yards for $6.00

I'm going to go take some pictures of my steel targets so give me an hour and I'll see if I can get them posted.
308Nate

jimm: If you have or have access to, Autocad I can send you a file that has a dozen or so targets that I use. They are on grids of 1/4" and multiples of same. They can be printed true size so you can make them any true life size you want when you print them. I use them from 100 yards out to 1000 and they work o.k. for me. I print some of them in different colors because sometimes, in different light conditions, I tend to see different colors better thatn just plain black. If you don't have Autocad I believe you can download a free viewer that will let you view, print etc. Autocad drawings. You just can't change anything. I have a shooting/range book/binder that goes with me everytime I'm shooting and it always has an assortment of these different targets, along with all the other data needed.

Here are some steel targets.

The coyote is full size and is set at 700 yds.from my bench.
1/2" mild steel

here is a resetting target that I invented and built.But is a bit fussy you need the right combination of velocity and momentum. A .308 winchester operates it 1-200 yds 90% of the time and the .300 winchester and 7mm wsm will operate it out to 500 yds. The prairie dog target is aprox. 9" tall
and are made out of AR400

I am totally re-designing my resetting targets to be less velocity and momentum sensitive.If I get it done to my satisfaction I will be building them for re-sale.

Here is a picture of bullet impact on AR400 with a 7MMWSM with 162's at 3150 FPS. at 200yds.
my experiance with AR400 is that velocity has more to do with steel erosion than bullet weight. A .223 with a 55gr. bullet traveling 3200 FPS.at 100yds will cause more steel erosion than a .300 Winchester with a 220gr. bullet traveling 2700 FPS.on AR400 (similar bullet construction)
FWIW
308nate

I do my targets with AutoCad too, and I can print 3 x 4 foot targets and so save trips downrange to change targets. This is plenty handy.

What is more important is what sort of scope you have and what sight picture works for you - I'm still experimenting with it. Myself, I like fine cross hairs and duplex reticles.

I am intrigued by the choice between round bulls and crossed lines at a 45 and intend to explore that. I don't like crossed lines at a 90. I find that the eyes and brain have to work consciously with those, and shooting needs to be automatic.

Good stuff guys! more of this would be good.Nate, keepus posted onthe progress of your steel resettable targets, looks promising.Well c'mon lets have some more. Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.