Targets mother load

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Tikkamike, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

A local oilfield machine shop went out of business recently and they had an online auction I saw a pallet of steel that looked like I could possibly get a few targets out of and the bonus is 99% of it already has holes machined in the corners. ... so I bid on it and won it for $85! It’s not AR500 it’s just mild steel but the price was right so I figured I’ll shoot it till it’s too full of holes to be a target. yesterday I went to pick it up, and ends up I underestimated how much steel was there. Turns out it’s 14k lbs of steel so it looks like I’m set for tArgets for a bit. The pieces are from 5/8”-1” thigh and range from 12” to 24” squares and rectangles to full sheets that will need cut.

Attached Files:

iowaelkbum, Tidus56 and shawnb like this.
  2. Hand Skills

Hand Skills Well-Known Member

Haha! Nice score! I don't envy you on the logistics side of things though. How are you going to get it all home?

3. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

They loaded it on a trailer with a telehandler then I took it to my shop and unloaded it with the skidsteer...

Hand Skills likes this.
  4. Bcwn

Bcwn Member

Congrats for sure! I wonder if AR 500 is heavier weight wise and not just strength, but hey if you shoot some real soft nose stuff maybe it will last a while. Ill bet you find some stuff in there thats hard as AR 500

5. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

Congratulations !
    You shouldn't have too much trouble with 1" thick.
    Start thinking of your hangers

6. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

You could flip some of that for a profit.

7. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Use the small rectangles as targets but I’d sell full sheets, they’re not cheap. Talk to some welding shops they might be able to point you in the right direction

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    gjk5, Hand Skills and gohring3006 like this.