target steel..any good buys out there?

4xforfun

A year ago or so there was a guy taking names for a group buy on AR500 steel for shooting. I am pretty sure it was on this website. I baught two 12x12 and they are AWSOME. Can't even scratch them, even at short range!! I made some 12 x 24 x 3/8 out of mild steel for 1000 + yards, but since I switched from the 210 bergers to the 230 Hybrid, I went from denting them to punching holes. I would like to get some more of the "good stuff", but am thinking my local welding shop will charge and arm and a testical....still need two of each!!

Anyone out there making a list??

Thanks,
Tod

Was on here. Haven't seen him around for a while. You want AR500 steel plate (armor).

Been thinking about cutting some on the CNC cutter this winter. Just have to order in some plate.

The fellow that does the group buy also has a site! This great because he uses it as a program to help youth on a jubilee ranch. Here's the link.

JC Steel Targets

Awsome...thanks a bunch.

I was talking to my brother in law...he is a pistol instructor for the US Customs service...He said he may be able to hook me up, or at least send me in the right direction. But.....It looks like the JC Targets website could well be by one stop shopping destination for all things that go CLANK!!:D

Caldwell Shooting Supplies has some different sizes & shapes for sale.

Scroll down almost to the bottom to see what they offer. You can buy just the steel plates or the whole target system.

2012 Product Catalog

joseph

Thanks for the kind words guys!

We would be honored to help with any Premium AR500 steel target need you may have! Just let us know.
Have a blessed day.

Jake Vibbert
JC Steel Targets
Jubilee Youth Ranch

Thanks for the kind words guys!

We would be honored to help with any Premium AR500 steel target need you may have! Just let us know.
Have a blessed day.

Jake Vibbert
JC Steel Targets
Jubilee Youth Ranch

I have a question for you. Like I said in my first post....I am punching right through 3/8the inch mild steel plates at 1100 yards. But, with the same load, I don't even scratch the AR500 targets I have at 500 yards. Not sure the thickness of the ar500, but they are 12 x 12 square that I picked up on a group buy on this site. Would I need the thick ar500 for 1000+ yards, or could I get buy with..say 1/4 inch stuff. My targets are 12H by 24W that I use for ELR shooting.

Just wonderin if I could save some $$$ and weight by getting thinner steel.

Thanks,
Tod

I have a question for you. Like I said in my first post....I am punching right through 3/8the inch mild steel plates at 1100 yards. But, with the same load, I don't even scratch the AR500 targets I have at 500 yards. Not sure the thickness of the ar500, but they are 12 x 12 square that I picked up on a group buy on this site. Would I need the thick ar500 for 1000+ yards, or could I get buy with..say 1/4 inch stuff. My targets are 12H by 24W that I use for ELR shooting.

Just wonderin if I could save some $$$ and weight by getting thinner steel.

Thanks,
Tod

Just my .02. If you get the thinner ones and you ruin them you are not saving any money.

joseph

Tod, I would go 3/8" AR500. Same as that 12" square you bought from us.

We actually have a 12x24 square for a screaming deal. Sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly. They are $85 to your door!!!

But Joseph is right, buy the 3/8" AR500 and be happy forever. Plus you can shoot it at closer range if you ever wanted....

Thanks, Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.