target rifles for me and wife ?

Myself, my wife and two daughters shoot a once a month fun steel match from 200 to 1000 yds. We are currently running 3 straight 6br norma 8"twist rigs and my oldest daughter shoots 22-250 8" twist that will likely change to a 6br when we rebarrel. I shot a couple 6.5x47 barrels but went to 6br for less cost and recoil. Lots of good calibers our there. Several have came and went.. I have had a fast twist 6br since 2003. They are a great little package all around. 6br is also quite effective whitetail deer caliber FYI...

There are multiple factors to consider:
- how much will you shoot? Price of ammo/components will start to add up & barrel life becomes a factor
- will these be dedicated to target use?
- Do you need to feed from a magazine
- Do you plan to reload & are you ok with pretty much ONLY reloading?

• If you're going to shoot alot, the smaller the cartridge, the more economical it will be to shoot.
  • If you are going to dedicate these to target use and don't need to feed from a magazine the short/squat 6's are amazing (6BR, 6XC, 6 Dasher, etc)
  • If you reload and plan to, you won't need to worry about commercially loaded ammo availability.

IF the stars align on the above - I don't think you can find a better choice for 1000 yards and under than the 6BR ... you can find some as good, but not better. And yes - there IS such a thing as an "inherently accurate" cartridge ... and without any question, the 6mmBR is absolutely one of those - and it is a SAAMI standardized cartridge.

If not the 6BR, I'd look to the 6.5mm Creedmoor or 6 Creedmoor next but the 6 creed is a bit more finicky to develop an accurate load in and you and your wife will need to wear matching shirts with either the 6 or 6.5 creeds :) ... but ... the 6 creed is one of the VERY few cartridges for which I see ammo available for on the shelf every time I drop in the local stores. If you are wanting to be able obtain and shoot commercial ammo - I think the 6 creed and the matching shirts makes tons of sense right now. ;)

My 6BR is one of my most economical rifles to shoot (lapua brass that lasts and lasts, 30g of powder, lower cost 6mm bullets as compared to 6.5mm, 7mm, & 308). It has excellent barrel life. It is my most accurate rifle and almost any load I put it in shoots amazing - under 1/2 moa - some under 1/4 moa and it is just a factory savage action with an ER Shaw barrel - nothing fancy. It has virtually no recoil with the 26" heavy varmint barrel (.850" at the muzzle) such that I haven't even threaded it for a brake. It has rung steel many many times at 1000 and when I take a group to the 1000 yard range, it is always everyone's favorite rifle to shoot - at any distance including at the longest ranges we can engage at 1000. This is in comparison to also having 308, 7mm-08, 260 Rem AI/6.5mmAI, 223 with us.

If you want to go further than 1000 - you'll probably need to step up to a caliber with higher BC bullets - 6.5's and 7's begin to look attractive as do the very heavy 30's ... but ... then you are really increasing cost to shoot and the wear and tear on the shooter (recoil) unless you stay with the smaller capacity 6.5mm cartridges like the 6.5 creed and 260.

My short list for what "I think" you are trying to do and in order (so long as you reload) is:
  1. 6mmBR
  2. 6.5mm Creedmoor (better barrel life than 6 creed)
  3. 6mm Creedmoor (ammo is available as are components)
If you DON'T reload, the list changes slightly to the following:
  1. 6.5mm Creedmoor
  2. 6mm Creedmoor

All this being said - I am neither a lover nor a hater of a creedmoor. It is both overvalued and overly poo poo'd simultaneously. It gets a bad rap as well as way too much credit. It is solid and very well suited to long range target work to 1000 yards in either the 6.5 or the 6mm version - a bit longer in the 6.5 version ... but ... so is a 6.5x47, and a 260 Rem, and a (insert others) ... but it has momentum going for it and that is the reason they are on my short lists above.

Whatever you decide - if it is a 6mm or a 6.5mm bore - you will need an 8twist barrel so you can shoot the 105-107's in the 6mm's or the 140-147s in the 6.5mm's ... that's where you will get the high BC's that will extend your supersonic range to 1000 yards and beyond.

Good luck!

Aw shucks - @BrienM - thanks for the kind words ... I think my mission in life may be to get other people to continue to add to their collection of "favorite rifles" ... I know mine keeps growing and I need the support from others to do the same so I can tell my wife "See? ... Everybody else is doing it too!" :)

There are multiple factors to consider:
- how much will you shoot? Price of ammo/components will start to add up & barrel life becomes a factor
- will these be dedicated to target use?
- Do you need to feed from a magazine
- Do you plan to reload & are you ok with pretty much ONLY reloading?

• If you're going to shoot alot, the smaller the cartridge, the more economical it will be to shoot.
  • If you are going to dedicate these to target use and don't need to feed from a magazine the short/squat 6's are amazing (6BR, 6XC, 6 Dasher, etc)
  • If you reload and plan to, you won't need to worry about commercially loaded ammo availability.

IF the stars align on the above - I don't think you can find a better choice for 1000 yards and under than the 6BR ... you can find some as good, but not better. And yes - there IS such a thing as an "inherently accurate" cartridge ... and without any question, the 6mmBR is absolutely one of those - and it is a SAAMI standardized cartridge.

If not the 6BR, I'd look to the 6.5mm Creedmoor or 6 Creedmoor next but the 6 creed is a bit more finicky to develop an accurate load in and you and your wife will need to wear matching shirts with either the 6 or 6.5 creeds :) ... but ... the 6 creed is one of the VERY few cartridges for which I see ammo available for on the shelf every time I drop in the local stores. If you are wanting to be able obtain and shoot commercial ammo - I think the 6 creed and the matching shirts makes tons of sense right now. ;)

My 6BR is one of my most economical rifles to shoot (lapua brass that lasts and lasts, 30g of powder, lower cost 6mm bullets as compared to 6.5mm, 7mm, & 308). It has excellent barrel life. It is my most accurate rifle and almost any load I put it in shoots amazing - under 1/2 moa - some under 1/4 moa and it is just a factory savage action with an ER Shaw barrel - nothing fancy. It has virtually no recoil with the 26" heavy varmint barrel (.850" at the muzzle) such that I haven't even threaded it for a brake. It has rung steel many many times at 1000 and when I take a group to the 1000 yard range, it is always everyone's favorite rifle to shoot - at any distance including at the longest ranges we can engage at 1000. This is in comparison to also having 308, 7mm-08, 260 Rem AI/6.5mmAI, 223 with us.

If you want to go further than 1000 - you'll probably need to step up to a caliber with higher BC bullets - 6.5's and 7's begin to look attractive as do the very heavy 30's ... but ... then you are really increasing cost to shoot and the wear and tear on the shooter (recoil) unless you stay with the smaller capacity 6.5mm cartridges like the 6.5 creed and 260.

My short list for what "I think" you are trying to do and in order (so long as you reload) is:
  1. 6mmBR
  2. 6.5mm Creedmoor (better barrel life than 6 creed)
  3. 6mm Creedmoor (ammo is available as are components)
If you DON'T reload, the list changes slightly to the following:
  1. 6.5mm Creedmoor
  2. 6mm Creedmoor

All this being said - I am neither a lover nor a hater of a creedmoor. It is both overvalued and overly poo poo'd simultaneously. It gets a bad rap as well as way too much credit. It is solid and very well suited to long range target work to 1000 yards in either the 6.5 or the 6mm version - a bit longer in the 6.5 version ... but ... so is a 6.5x47, and a 260 Rem, and a (insert others) ... but it has momentum going for it and that is the reason they are on my short lists above.

Whatever you decide - if it is a 6mm or a 6.5mm bore - you will need an 8twist barrel so you can shoot the 105-107's in the 6mm's or the 140-147s in the 6.5mm's ... that's where you will get the high BC's that will extend your supersonic range to 1000 yards and beyond.

Good luck!
Support the 6mm creed recommendation

Well I think I am getting closer to a decision 🤔. I believe it will be a 6xc for low cost and no recoil factor. I think after a while that would get boring so the other one would be a 6.5x47 for some recoil and still be able to hunt with it. I know there are so many options and advice but I believe this will allow us to really work on form with the 6xc and not totally get used to having no recoil with the 6.5x47. And if that doesn't work then build something else as my wife would rather have a new gun than clothes or shoes. Unless it is hunting clothes or boots. Did I say I love that woman.

Well I think I am getting closer to a decision 🤔. I believe it will be a 6xc for low cost and no recoil factor. I think after a while that would get boring so the other one would be a 6.5x47 for some recoil and still be able to hunt with it. I know there are so many options and advice but I believe this will allow us to really work on form with the 6xc and not totally get used to having no recoil with the 6.5x47. And if that doesn't work then build something else as my wife would rather have a new gun than clothes or shoes. Unless it is hunting clothes or boots. Did I say I love that woman.
good picks on cal I would go with a action that you can change your barrels on 6.5 x47 is some what of a barrel burner but still a outstanding cal

One more vote for the 6 creed. I used a 6.5 creed for a season, then went to 6 creed. The roughly 40grain difference in bullet weight results in noticeably lower recoil. This really makes recoil management easier, and though it can be argued that we should work on better positions to accomplish that, when you are in matches with 90 second time limits and which require shooting from more than one position, less recoil helps.

An upside to the 6 creed that I had not considered is how similar the ballistics are to my hunting rifles; a 7mm rem mag and 6.5 prc. Out to about 600 yards, the elevation and windage solutions are nearly identical for 7mm rem mag Hornady precision hunter, 6.5 prc Hornady match, and 6mm creed Hornady match. For me, that simplifies things.

Another consideration is a 223 trainer. Great fun to shoot and inexpensive, with super long barrel life. Those have limitations in matches though, esp in windy conditions and over 500 yards when impacts can be hard to spot.

good picks on cal I would go with a action that you can change your barrels on 6.5 x47 is some what of a barrel burner but still a outstanding cal
Everyone has an opinion, but is your statement based on experience? I am well familiar with the 6.5X47 and in my opinion "barrel burner" and "6.5X47" should never be used in the same sentence...far from that.

I agree the 6.5x47 isn't a barrel burner. I have two of them and they're great. Brass lasts forever and they are very accurate. I use one for tree stand hunting. Finished at 8 lbs with a Z5 5-25x52. Shoots 124 HH at 2938 FPS and is deadly on whitetail. Other is a RBros built and tips the scales at about 14 lbs with a 8-32 NSX. I use this one to mainly shoot steel with 130 Berger's at 2950 FPS. You will be happy if and when you barrel one up in 6.5x47.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.