target rifles for me and wife ?

Check out 6mmBR.com. Some of the best of the best on there. I have a 6mmBR, Shilen 1-8" and it makes me look good! One member on here said that there was no such thing as a "inherently accurate" cartridge. I say he never owned a 6BR.
I have a .223Rem but it's a 1-9 twist and I wish I had a 1-7 or 8" to shoot the 80/90gn missiles. The heaviest I've shot in it are the 69gn MK's and Nos Cust. Comp.'s out to 500dys, and they do real good for no more than what the rifle is (Marlin X7VH; pawn shop find!). With 50gn VMax's though it's a crow's (and feral cat's) worst nightmare inside of 300yds.
Check out the 6XC. Lot's of good info on this winning round with dedicated brass available and plenty of great 6mm bullets (if you can find 'em). Hopefully this "drought" won't last long.

You could do very well with your current rifle..... the 30-06 might be in need of replacement sooner. I shoot several 6xc's out to 1,000 (farthest distance we have within 60 miles), have much longer if I am willing to go farther (northern Utah).

We are looking at building target rifles to sharpen our shooting skills. I currently shoot a 6.5x284 and she shoots a Tika 3006for hunting. Want to build target specific rifles .We have a 600 yard range close to home when we retire next year would like to do some travel to places with longer ranges .Fairly new to reloading but plan on doing for this. Would like some suggestions on what you would build if you could for 600 and beyond. Ideally we would shoot the same caliber. So let's see what you would build.

NW,
You have been given good suggestions: 6 BR, 6 Dasher, 6 BRA, 6GT, 6XC, 6.5x47 Lapua.
All of these cartridges will work wonderful from 600 to 1000 yards.
The 6 BR, 6GT, 6XC, and 6.5x47 Lapua are not wildcats, so there is no fireforming to be done, which makes things easier for a new reloader. Throat/barrel life is good with all of these cartridges.
None of these have heavy recoil which will make in enjoyable for both of you.
A 1-8 twist barrel will work great for all of these cartridges.
Brux Blake, Bartlein, Krieger, Hart, and Lilja are barrels that I use, and will give you top performance.
Are you going to use a stock, that would use a front rest and rear bags?
If so, I can give you more recommendations.
There are many good actions, out there but a great buy for the money is Kauger Arms. It has a Remington 700 footprint.
Michael DeLoach/Nine Run Gun is a gunsmith, who will do you guys a great job.
912-207-0046 [email protected]

Mine is a 6mm Creedmoor and has been great so far.

This is a good read as are the follow up articles.

I'd say pick the 6mm that suits you best. If ammo availability is a consideration the 6mm Creedmoor is a good choice. Probably a little harder on barrels as it's faster. I've seen 6mm ammo available on the shelf here consistently even through all this mess which is bizarre. I haven't needed it since I load mine.

We are looking at building target rifles to sharpen our shooting skills. I currently shoot a 6.5x284 and she shoots a Tika 3006for hunting. Want to build target specific rifles .We have a 600 yard range close to home when we retire next year would like to do some travel to places with longer ranges .Fairly new to reloading but plan on doing for this. Would like some suggestions on what you would build if you could for 600 and beyond. Ideally we would shoot the same caliber. So let's see what you would build.
what do you mean by target shooting paper or steel is this to improve your skills and gun handling for hunting ect. for steel out to 1000 6.5 creed, or 6.5 PRC if for bench work then build a benchrest in one of the 6mms

Current shortage noted, I would still get something that you can find factory ammo for. I have found for me that if I am focused on the development of shooting skills it is sometime more productive to focus on shooting rather than load development and constant reloading to feed the gun. I would go with something that in normal times you can get off the shelf ammo for such as .223, 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, etc. Keep it simple and you'll have move time to shoot and less time reloading. For god sakes when ammo and components become available again at normal prices build a reasonable stock to feed you hobby for at least a year or more so you don't have to be on here bellyachin' all day. If you want to compete at the longer ranges then stick with the 6 or 6.5. If you find you are really into it and plan to get competitive then do your home work and build another rifle chambered in one of the more specialized offerings.

6mmBRA if you can read the wind well, on a good action. All you need do is fire form it.
6.5x284 with the 7.5 twist and the heaviest bullets you can find if wind doping is a problem, Make sure the gun is throated for exactly the bullet you decide on. And I am assuming this will be a bolt gun, not a semi auto.
Use Lapua brass and you can set them up with no-turn necks.
Having shot across the course for years, (200, 300 and 600), I tried the 308 and 30-06 at first. Wasted 2 years and couple grand doing it.
The discipline you are pursuing matters.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about building a target specific gun myself, would like something easy on the shoulder. Been taking a strong look at the 25-06. Easy on the shoulder, components are quite available, good selection of bullets, and quite accurate round. I know it's not a fancy, designer cartridge, but those who shoot them have a strong following. For me a build is blueprint action, quality 26 inch barrel something for heavy for caliber bullets, bed/pillar bed factory stock, and a good piece of glass. Guess one could go crazy, but what I've found is that this combination will shoot better than I can shoot it. Good luck with your build, and it's also great To read that you've got a shooting partner!!

I'm thinking about building a target specific gun myself, would like something easy on the shoulder. Been taking a strong look at the 25-06. Easy on the shoulder, components are quite available, good selection of bullets, and quite accurate round. I know it's not a fancy, designer cartridge, but those who shoot them have a strong following. For me a build is blueprint action, quality 26 inch barrel something for heavy for caliber bullets, bed/pillar bed factory stock, and a good piece of glass. Guess one could go crazy, but what I've found is that this combination will shoot better than I can shoot it. Good luck with your build, and it's also great To read that you've got a shooting partner!!
I don't shoot competitively but a fast twist 25 should be good. Just be sure of a fast enough twist for the blackjack or new Berger. My 25-284 shoots great with the 131 BJ.

I'm doing the same but with different cartridge(s).
I got a .223 barrel for my 28 Nosler hunting rifle for practice but it's not as consistent as I'd like, so I'm having a 6mmARC Bartlein barrel built. I considered the 6BR and 6 Dasher but though I'd try the 6mmARC to practice at shorter ranges and to conserve powder.

You are already shooting what is to be completely honest one of the most successful long range cartridges in the business and barrel life is not bad either and brass is great. The 6.5x284 Norma is an excellent long range cartridge out to close to a mile (1760 yards) with some of the best BC bullets available. Additionally, it is fairly light recoiling compared to others and not to over-bored. Other considerations if you like 6.5s would be the 6.5x55 AI (Improved) or the 6.5 PRC neither of which will give you any real advantage over the 6.5x284 Norma. For inside 1400yards the 6mm and 6.5 creedmoors are excellent as well as the 260 rem, 7mm-08 rem and 284 win. If you want to go beyond a mile consistently and not burn through barrels every other year you will need to step up to the big 338s.The 338 RUM, Edge and Lapua Improved are the most practical and efficient. One exception would be the 300 Norma Improved. A couple others to consider if we are talking to a mile would be 7mm saum, 300 win mag, and 300 PRC. Again, however, the 6.5x284 Norma is hard to beat for your intended purpose. The 6.5x284 Norma is just about a perfect cartridge. IMHO everything else is just trying to reinvent the wheel. Blessings!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts