Target dot

Akkill

Hey guys i`m loking for a budget rifle scope, target dot reticle 1" tube, intented use ? Rimfire target shooting and silhuete shooting so i would like to know what options i have.

When I began shooting rimfire silhouette years ago, my first scope was a Burris 12x with standard crosswire. Later, I bought a Simmons 6-20, but it was junk. Finally got smart and bought a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR with 1/8" dot. That was the ticket. Easy to put that dot on the turkeys and rams, but did not always knock them down. Hard to beat a Leupold.

any other option or leupold are alone in this area.

john i dont have your mail send it again plz.

The target dot reticle is good for bench target shooting but not much else. The human eye is good at centering one small circle in another. However, a target dot reticle isn't good for estimating range and the small dot and fine cross hairs are useless in low light and poor for quick target acquisition. Silhouette shooting doesn't need a super-fine reticle in my opinion.

Burris makes a nice "HBR" hunter benchrest 6x scope. The Leupold 16x40 M1 Mk 4 is a top of the line long range scope with a target dot reticle option. Leupold has made target dot scopes in several 1" models though I don't know if they still do.

Reticles don't cost much. I don't know of "target dot" scopes which are both good quality and cheap. The people who would want a target dot reticle also want a scope which will hold zero precisely. That's what costs.

when silhouette shooting started everyone wanted a WEAVER T16 or similar.

1/8 moa target dot is to small, you will end up shooting to the zone(putting the dot somewhere outisde the silhouette). In my range there are some shadows in the evening and its hard to see the smallest dot.

Leupold has some silhouette scopes in what I believe are the best power settings, 20, 25 and 30X magnificaction. with 3/8 or 1/2 moa target dots.

weaver also sells their 6.5-20X40 with a 1/2 MOA dot. at what seems a bargain price +/- 320 usd.

sightron also sells good target dot scopes....

you wont need a scope with a 50 mm lense beacuse you wont shoot with a dim light.

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.