Tar hunt?

Hi I also looked at these the past year although 20gauge. If you have seen my posts you know slugs are my favorite. Here is the problem with the tarhunt I saw. First its alot of money for a modified 870. Second my HR will cloverleaf at 100 and ring my six inch steel every time at 215 yards. Now even if you could get better accuracy out of the hunt your lethality after that distance is minimal because as that bullet slows down that much it will start to open up groups. So until we get faster ammo I would save the money and buy an HR or a savage 212. Either one will do the job out to the ammos capabilities. I had better luck with my HR. Hope this helps. I was also talking with Bob Hart about building a better slug gun but its lead nowhere yet.

I'm not sure on the Browning. Have no experience with them I would like to front hands on one but I'm to pleased with my HR to spend more cash until I can come up with a new load. I have some ideas. Will start on some loads this winter.

Baitys Custom N Wilkesboro NC is building a new Shotgun action. He will build you a custom shotgun as well. Call Mr. Baity at 336-667-8785 THANKS

I think you can spend a lot of money for a Tarhunt or a true custom such as Leonards.

However how much tighter than 2-3 inches at 200 yards do you need?

The HR slug hunters, Savage 212 or 220s or a tuned Encore can all do that and for a hell of a lot less money.

over price, for nothing. I love my 220f and would put it up to a custom made Tar-Hunt. As far as a 870 Tar-Hunt, friend did just that with his 870 spent a good coin for the work, it was sighted in with Lightfields, at the time I used a 1187 rifled/cantilever barrel with the same ammo no upgrades I would out shoot him everytime....He wasted his money

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.