Tapered Brake for .650 muzzle 300 WSM

Tubb makes a break with a self-timing barrel nut that tightens up against the brake, Ross does also. These brakes can act as barrel tunner, and it make a huge difference in groups.
Kelly's Ross brakes are self-timing but not considered a tuner brake unless he has a newer product that I do not know about. Kelly's self-timing brake is probably the best-priced for money.

Anyone have suggestions for a good brake on light hunter sub 8lb 300 wsm?

Barrel will be .650 at the muzzle.
Radial vias style or side ported?
If larger than .650 just needs to be able to be turned down. Found these on Red Hawk rifles.
View attachment 380203
View attachment 380204
View attachment 380205
I've used Gentry Brakes on 4 rifles and have had excellent luck with them. They smoothly blend with your rifle barrel and do reduce the recoil substantially. Loud like all brakes are. I carry my rifles in a scabbard on horseback. Nothing to hang up when putting in or taking out of the scabbard..

Kelly's Ross brakes are self-timing but not considered a tuner brake unless he has a newer product that I do not know about. Kelly's self-timing brake is probably the best-priced for money.
All Self-timing brakes are tuners...once you understand the concept of a tuner, I have the Ezel tuner, Harrell's tuner brake, and the RASS tuner brake. ON my custom 308, I used the Ross self-timing, was getting groups in the high 3's, then screwed the brake OUT one full revolution, locked the nut, the groups are opening up a single bullet hole now...very little.

Last edited:
All Self-timing brakes are tuners...once you understand the concept of a tuner, I have the Ezel tuner, Harrell's tuner brake, and the RASS tuner brake. ON my custom 308, I used the Ross self-timing, was getting groups in the high 3's, then screwed the brake OUT one full revolution, locked the nut, the groups are opening up a single bullet hole now...very little.
I understand the concept of tuner brakes. However, there is a reason that MB manufacturers do not advertise their self-timing brakes as tuners because they are not the same as tuner brakes you mentioned and mislead end-users.

I get what you're saying and you can totally do that. However a true tuner brake has a lot finer adjustments than "one full revolution". You could also be compromising the integrity of the break if it's not making as much contact with the threads as it should be. I'm not sure I'd want to try that on something with more pressure than a 308. You probably got lucky with that one, and I happen to agree with FEENIX on this one, self timing brakes are not tuner brakes.

I saw changes in groups size with the Ross self timing muzzle break, adjusting the position of the top holes just barely off top dead center, very minor changes.

Few have any patience or interest in Tuners, I should not have even brought it up.