Tangent Theta TT315M: Initial Impressions

jonthomps

I've always liked the idea of the Premier Light Tactical scope. It seemed like the perfect, do all, tactical/hunting scope. Having owned two Premier's - a 5-25 and a light tac - I wasn't a huge fan of Premier as a brand and everyone knows they have been plagued with problems.

After reading some of KSE's Tangent Theta tracking reviews on the Sniper's Hide I decided to call Greg and purchase a TT315M. The scope took the place of an S&B 3–12x50 PMII on my 6.5 SAUM Extreme Hunter.

To be sure I am not an experienced Tangent Theta user but I have owned just about every other brand of top-tier optic: S&B, Kahles, Nightforce, and of course Premier. I have exactly one day and 43 rounds under the scope. But like the title says these are my initial impressions of the scope. I decided to write this because there seems to be next to no information posted on them, and with good reason, as very few of them are in the hands of end users.

I am a counselor. It is my job to analyze people. That being said, whoever the individual is that's responsible for designing and overseeing the building of this scope is a perfectionist. Every aspect of the scope as well executed: from the sealed, shrink-wrapped box to the closed cell foam interior packaging, to the tactile feel of the turrets, to the smooth turning magnification ring, to the overall fit and finish of the optic. Even the instruction booklet has color photos.

For what the scope is meant to be it is, quite literally, perfect.

Reticle: What needs to be said, it's a Gen2 XR. Nothing new here. Some people like them, some people don't. I think they're fine.

Glass: It's excellent and what you'd expect (and possibly a little more) you would get for $3k. Think top-tier. If you choose to purchase one I'm betting you'll be happy.

Turrets: No two ways about it, these turrets are flat out badass! There's lots of room between clicks (this extra space between clicks comes in real handy in low light situations), they have a relatively heavy clunk on each click, and they have, in my opinion, the perfect amount of resistance. There's just enough to grip but not too much as to add unnecessary weight to the package.

Tracking: My scope reflected KSE's findings. Perfect. I didn't test the entire range but I did a 100y tall test out to 6 mils. Everything was spot on. At Colorado hunting elevations 6 mils gets me to 1k.

Scope cap covers: Yes, it's a little weird to discuss scope cap covers in a review. But I believe they are noteworthy. It's as though TT bought the next level up of whatever Tenabrex ships to every other scope manufacturer. They're nice, really nice.

It also comes with an aluminum ARD that's milled to accept your scope cap cover – just pop your cover off the objective lens and pop it on your ARD.

Eye box: Very forgiving. Easy-peasy to find a clear sight picture at all magnifications.

Low light performance: The scope really shines in low light situations. It's a hunting scope, and I was happy to see it delivered. I shot the TT in the evening against a Kahles gen 3 624i sitting on a different rifle with no discernible difference between the two in low light performance.

All in all, this is a very well executed optic and I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Yes, it's $3k. But if you've got the spare change I believe it delivers on that price.

Attachments

• FFF120BF-B4A5-4F86-9633-BAE2DA924E21_zpsrn4lfpde.jpg
    FFF120BF-B4A5-4F86-9633-BAE2DA924E21_zpsrn4lfpde.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 968
  • A9E30837-D826-40AA-AFCA-6516FC80B612_zpsuwrz33en.jpg
    A9E30837-D826-40AA-AFCA-6516FC80B612_zpsuwrz33en.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 622
  • C1A5E061-B1AC-4042-95AC-53969B2031FC_zps0ehsdc87.jpg
    C1A5E061-B1AC-4042-95AC-53969B2031FC_zps0ehsdc87.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 622
  • 93B182F7-E95C-4457-80B9-E432CDC05487_zpsh8k3o7ts.jpg
    93B182F7-E95C-4457-80B9-E432CDC05487_zpsh8k3o7ts.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 680
Jon,

Between this TT and the LT Premier you mentioned from your past, is there anything that sticks out at you for significant differences? ...just between the old LT and this new Tangent version*

I've got an LT myself, and have-had it's bigger brother 3-15 as well (but sold the bigger one due to bulk/etc) I never had a stich of problems with either of them. Really am curious whether or not upgrading my LT to the Tangent Version is going to be much of an upgrade (?)

Jon,

Between this TT and the LT Premier you mentioned from your past, is there anything that sticks out at you for significant differences? ...just between the old LT and this new Tangent version*

I've got an LT myself, and have-had it's bigger brother 3-15 as well (but sold the bigger one due to bulk/etc) I never had a stich of problems with either of them. Really am curious whether or not upgrading my LT to the Tangent Version is going to be much of an upgrade (?)

Rooster,

Premier LT v. TT315M: For me, the TT is qualitatively and quantitatively better than the LT in many regards. Examples:
1. Yes, the TT turrets are still 6 mil per rev, but the click values and resistance are so noticeably better it's not even a comparison.
2. The overall fit and finish of the TT scope is better than the LT. The mag ring has the perfect amount of resistance and the parallax functions as it should. There is zero "grit and grind" in any knob movement.
3. To my eyes, I feel the glass on the TT surpasses the LT.
4. The illum system of the TT is so far beyond the LT it really can't be compared. It's every inch as good as S&B or Kahles (my two favorites). The illum knob is cool because the user has "off" settings between every setting, so the settings go like this: 1, off, 2, off, 3, off, etc. This is great because if you really like a certain setting - say setting 4 - the user can set the scope's illum knob on setting four and turn it one click fore or aft to switch it off without scrolling through the entire illum range. I think this is great engineering. Hope this helps.

I've just purchased two of these TT315Ps. Will be mounting them on a couple of Kirby Allen 7mm Allen Magnums my brother and I are having built.

The scopes look fantastic just handling them. I can't wait to get them mounted and put through the paces...

Does anyone on this forum currently use a TT315P or TT315M? I'd like to hear some feedback.

CG

An old thread but interning someone has piqued my interest in long range shooting.
S&B and Kahles are definitely more affordable and I bought a Bolly/ PDI stock from the Precision Defence Industries guys who happen to be the Australian agent for Tangent Theta so it's good to get independent reviews on gear.

Nightforce in its various models are popular here but pending price and application as to what you can afford.

I'd like to hear more about these if anyone is using them.

Not lots of time behind it yet, but a 315M here w/ GEN3 XR. Considered the TT 525, but did not want that big of a scope. I have not had all kinds to compare to so, probably the best being a Swarovski Habicht 3-18x50. It was the best I have experience with until TT. The TT has the clearest full view, no tunneling, most user-friendly eye relief and so far - easiest parallax adjustment. I probably should have went with a NF NX8 and saved some money, but no regrets this far.

Stay tuned as I am certain some others will weigh in here with greater advice on TT than I.

I have both the TT 315M Gen 2xr and 315H. I've had a 5-25P and sold it for the single reason of weight. I have also had S&B 5-20 sold because of the turrets. Kahles 3-18 sold because of really bad CA. Leopold Mark 5 3-18 is a cheaper price point and performs at that price point, did not handle CA, mushy turrets, didnt like the reticle, FOV was poor. ZCO 4-20 I really liked this scope it checks all the boxes but it suffers the same problem as all other short scopes, sensitive parallax adjustment and was just not a fan of their MPACT 2 reticle. The TT 3-15 just executes everything extremely well. Incredible turrets, the best FOV, edge to edge clarity, handles CA very well, resolves very well at all distances all in a 27.7oz package. If I am nit picking the only thing I would complain about is the Gen 2 xr reticle can be a little thin on low power but honestly it has not been an issue in the 2 seasons I've been using it hunting and have taken deer from 60 - 300 yds. I got the H model late last year to address the thin reticle and have been very pleased so far shot it out to 800 yards on 12" plate so far with zero issues making accurate first round hits. The locking turrets are nice and are just as good as the M turrets but in my opinion was not necessary as I have never had the M turrets spin on me. These scopes are extremely expensive but if you have used some of the other alpha scopes you will appreciate how the TT's perform and why they are priced the way they are, no free lunches.
After spending an embarrassing amount of money in search of the best hunting scope Ill be keeping both my M and H TT's.
IMHO the TT 3-15 M and H are the best hunting scope I have used and are a great option for cross over scope as well.

It's sounding tlike these are high end.
I had not heard of these until I was hitting a ightweight stock from Bolly,.
I'm always weary of a sales pitch. This guy's not your average shop assistant but they are the agent so it's in their interest to sell. They do use these themselves for long range Hunting.
Like everything I guess it depends if you can afford it or justify theoney on these high end options..
Watching with interest.