Talley Lightweights

Terry3006

I see a lot of long range rifles with fairly heavy scopes and Talley aluminum rings. For those that use them how are they holding up ?
I've been using them on my 30-06 GAP non typical and a Nightforce compact for a few weeks now, so far so good.

You can't beat them for the money for on a hunting rifle.
Cabela's had the low Win M70 set listed for $18.99 on sale from a regular $43.

Guy at Talley suggested against that scenario. No comparison against a pic base system. For a lower recoiling heavy rifle, they look like a great option. Light weight Hammer and a NF optic? Run something stout. Full disclosure: As I'm writing this I have Talleys on a 300 Lapua with a Burris Veracity. ( it was a trade deal, not my setup) Seems ok right now, if I keep it, a pic base and BAT rings are going on it

I have 2 sets on my "long range guns" both have done fine...is on a 300 norma custom--about 125 rounds down the tube...perfect...the other was on my 33 nosler--just pulled the scope off for a potential sale but shot over 60 rounds with it...no problemo

I don't dial so I have no use for a pic rail and rings. I set my scopes and leave them alone so the Talley's work great for me.
I also have them on some heavy caliber and recoiling rifles which have never loosened from recoil.
Everybody likes something different and the less I have on my rifles the less problems I can see happening while hunting so a single base and ring combo is attractive to me especially at the price.

I had them on a 30-06 topped with a NF NXS. It did fine. Probably not what I would want on a 300WM.

Just ordered a set for the same 30-06 that has a Swaroski light weight on it now.

Although first time ever my NXS in NF ultra light rings on a NF base came loose on my 308win. Go figure...

I was running a heavier scope on my 26 Nosler with the Talley lightweights. It wasn't a very good option. I had them lapped and properly torqued, just not good enough against the heavier recoil with a light gun and heavy scope.

have them on every gun I can put them on. Never had any issues. What is a heavy scope? 25oz? 20? 38?
SnT

I love Talley one piece rings for hunting rifles. They get the scope as close to the barrel as possible and weigh next to nothing while still holding the scope securely. I also like how they do not obstruct the loading port like a picatinny rail does, which makes loading easier with fat fingers or gloves.

Last edited:
I'm one of the guys that have had problems with the Talleys and I won't use them again. Two primary problems I've had... They aren't round, and are prone to cause ring marks on your scope tubes (or even cause tubes to become out of round). I've also had them move around on the receiver which obviously caused major problems holding zero.

I'm not judging people that like and use them. Just stating my experience. I now use almost all pic rails, and Seekins rings. Another option for a ring that's similar to the Talley one-piece is the Hawkins precision one-piece rings. These are expense, but if you compare a set to the Talleys in your hand you'll see why.

I spend WAY too much on hunting trips, vacation time, and shooting equipment to save money on scope rings. Just my opinion.

question?? are all talley pic rails aluminum? what about rings???

I have a set of their LW 1 pc rings but I wasn't sure what else their product line consisted of

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.