Talk to me about Wildcats

My project will be a 7SAUM a proprietary cartridge with quite available brass. Never was a wildcat, only a short Ultra Mag. I want to have it built by the end of June, including the 6 weeks from now to make the barrel. Gonna use a Schultz and Larsen long action because I can.
You'll love it. I just finished my 7 saum and could not be more pleased

The 7WSM is a great cartridge but because of the slightly longer neck the SAUM is better. 20 thousand F Class shooters cannot all be wrong, eh. Check out the 7SAUM data in the Hornady Manual.

The 7WSM is a great cartridge but because of the slightly longer neck the SAUM is better. 20 thousand F Class shooters cannot all be wrong, eh. Check out the 7SAUM data in the Hornady Manual.
Yeah I have one, they are great. I've had really good luck with 168 Berger's

Hey Mike can you post a picture of your brass. I've been looking for a wssm case with 40* shoulders. Just purely out of curiosity I'd like to see how it looks

Make sure the reamer is throated for the longest possible seating depth. I like to shoot the heaviest bullets I can for caliber and reamers are often throated for a generic, all possible set of bullet weights and it kills your ability to load heavy. A lot of the newer, light bullets these days can take the jump if you decide to go lighter but you want the throat set so you dont intrude on the powder space. Go long or go home. Lol

Make sure the reamer is throated for the longest possible seating depth. I like to shoot the heaviest bullets I can for caliber and reamers are often throated for a generic, all possible set of bullet weights and it kills your ability to load heavy. A lot of the newer, light bullets these days can take the jump if you decide to go lighter but you want the throat set so you dont intrude on the powder space. Go long or go home. Lol
I agree 100% this is my game plan

I disagree with this i have and have had several 40 deg AI and properly set up they all have feed fine.
I have had a 45 degree wildcat but with a single shot. I am sure 40 will feed fine, but not 60. Never heard of anyone trying that.

My action is a one-off BAT.
True single shot, controlled round push feed, standing blade ejection, larger/magnum tenon diameter, coned breech, extended port.
The loading tray was reamed correct diameter & centered height for WSSM.
Pretty sure feeding would not be an issue with this at any degree of shoulder, including negative (which has potential).

But I went 35deg shoulders and reduced body taper, which was easiest to exactly match 260AI capacity (perfect for 140gr bullets).
I could now move shoulders back a bit for a higher shoulder angle while keeping this capacity.
An actual Ackley improvement is a little more comprehensive in that it's designed for crush fit of new brass at neck-shoulder junction.
This negative headspacing is for fire forming, so I went with that plan.
With taking shoulder angles higher, the neck-shoulder junction (and neck) pulls back with forming. I accounted or this as well while choosing chamber end clearance/trim length.
I mentioned earlier that I went fitted chamber. This is 1thou over ENTIRE new brass dimensions. Necks turned to 13thou for .290 loaded.
At a 65Kpsi mid-node (for this cartridge) and 35deg shoulder, the ONLY sizing I do is 1thou shoulder bumping.
Perhaps going more extreme with shoulders will eliminate the eventual need for bumping as well. Probably the only change I'll make.
26wssmSeatsm.jpg

Recent Posts