Talk to me about the Howa 1500

Weatherby needed to get into the low end market but didnt want to deal with it them selves, so the Vanguards are made in the same Japanese factory as the Howa 1500 using I believe the same patents. i.e they are the same guns they just take a little more time with the howa than the weatherby.

The mark iv weatherby rifles are still a different design made else where.
If you are just going to send the gun to a smith and have him work it over anyhow, save yourself some money and get a weatherby from wal mart. if you plan to buy one and shoot it out of the box...well frankly the weatherby vanguards are still a good option but maybe spend the money on the more polished howa 1500.

Just so Im clear on this, the Banguard a d the Howa are structurally the same in appearance and specs? Does anyone have both to confirm?

Yes I have both. A Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby and a Howa in .308W. Despite the action lengths they are the same rifle.

My brother has a Howa 7mm Magnum.... The stock is all plastic, and it leaves a bit to be desired from my perspective. No recoil lug, bolt bushings, just plastic. Before elk season a new stock will be on it.

Curious, the Howa 1500 Mini's have the recoil lug built into the bottom of the action.

Didn't look at the OE plastic stock because I planned to replace it straight-away.

Curious, the Howa 1500 Mini's have the recoil lug built into the bottom of the action.

Didn't look at the OE plastic stock because I planned to replace it straight-away.
The Howa 7mm Magnums have the recoil lug integral to the action like the short actions at least my brothers does.

Just so Im clear on this, the Banguard a d the Howa are structurally the same in appearance and specs? Does anyone have both to confirm?
Just for reference, historically howa has made rifles for Mossberg (1500, 1550(DBM)), Smith and Wesson (1500, 1550 (DBM), 1700ls(DBM, high polish, lightweight)) as well as Vanguard for Weatherby. May have made for other manufacturers too.

Just for reference, historically howa has made rifles for Mossberg (1500, 1550(DBM)), Smith and Wesson (1500, 1550 (DBM), 1700ls(DBM, high polish, lightweight)) as well as Vanguard for Weatherby. May have made for other manufacturers too.

Is there any way to know if my Mossberg has a Howa barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.