Talk to me about Barrel Tuners

I've got an ATS tuner and it's great. Obviously it's the most valuable if you're shooting factory ammo but I handoad and it's still been great for that. I tuned it in for my 6 BRA load, but can switch it quickly for my fire form load. The tuner only affects vertical vibration, so the horizontal dispersion is all on me.

I may get another for my Grendel AR, I'm limited on mag length with 129 ABLRs so a tuner may allow me another knob to dial.

PXL_20210423_183854486.jpg
PXL_20210522_170351563.jpg

Last edited:
Eric Cortina has really got me thinking hard about getting one of his tuner muzzle brakes. I have never used a barrel tuner but the concept seems sound. I think the way I would utilize it would be to develop the load with the most consistent velocity and completely ignore group size. My theory is that then I could use the barrel tuner to tune the barrel to the load. Has anyone done this with any success? What are your experiences with barrel tuners? I know they have been used by rimfire guys because they can't change the loads so they tune the rifle to the ammo but it's all new to me.
Yes

Eric Cortina has really got me thinking hard about getting one of his tuner muzzle brakes. I have never used a barrel tuner but the concept seems sound. I think the way I would utilize it would be to develop the load with the most consistent velocity and completely ignore group size. My theory is that then I could use the barrel tuner to tune the barrel to the load. Has anyone done this with any success? What are your experiences with barrel tuners? I know they have been used by rimfire guys because they can't change the loads so they tune the rifle to the ammo but it's all new to me.
I bought one of EC's tuner/brake and shot it for 2 weeks , loved it enough to order another for my 6mm creed. Won't part with any one of em. Worth every penny to me !

Yes in a redneck kind of way. I've done it with multiple rifles over decades, but simpler.

I just take strips of electrical tape, and lay them in the fore end until contact. Add until I get acceptable groups and stop. You can keep going, and see groups get bigger.

I have made tuners for my target rifles. Every one has inproved the group size. On my hunters I made a radial tuner brake. The 22 LR showed 3/4 inch groups were best, after fitting and tuning the brake it now groups consistently 1/4 inch groups at 50 meters.
My old Sportco 22K Hornet with a 16 twist shooting the winchester 40gr 22 magnum projectile couldn't get anything under an inch at 50 meters. Made and fitted a radial tuner brake, dialed it in, and now it consistently groups 3/8 inch.
My target rifles benifit the most. Found a good velocity node then dialed in the tuner till it tightened the groups. I dont chase the lands so as the groups open up due to throat wear I just readjust the tuner.
Definately worth the effort.

I just ordered an EC tuner a few weeks ago. Can't wait to try it out.
If it reduces group size, does that mean your seating depth or powder charge is off?
Put another way, if you have the "perfect" powder charge/seating depth combination, will the tuner not improve group size further?

I was working on a 260ackley got it to .36 ordered an EC tuner brake dialed that load to .25

I have made tuners for my target rifles. Every one has inproved the group size. On my hunters I made a radial tuner brake. The 22 LR showed 3/4 inch groups were best, after fitting and tuning the brake it now groups consistently 1/4 inch groups at 50 meters.
My old Sportco 22K Hornet with a 16 twist shooting the winchester 40gr 22 magnum projectile couldn't get anything under an inch at 50 meters. Made and fitted a radial tuner brake, dialed it in, and now it consistently groups 3/8 inch.
My target rifles benifit the most. Found a good velocity node then dialed in the tuner till it tightened the groups. I dont chase the lands so as the groups open up due to throat wear I just readjust the tuner.
Definately worth the effort.
I'd like to see some pictures of the tuners you have made if you don't mind sharing.

No pics yet but I was able to force the 6.5-300 with max load 156 bergers into 1" square @200 with that rubber harmonic thing which to me was really impressive since it started out about 2-3 inch