Talk to me about 8mm cartridges and bullets

our friendly, mild mannered neighbors next door make some awesome properly twisted tubes for these Death Star spears

View attachment 381329
Hi guys, looks Impressive... Got a Roessler Titan6 switch barrel, 8x68s, 1: 11 twist... what suggestions would you have for good BC, and hunting... Currently run between 160grn to 220grn( I think)... great caliber... cheers

Extractor of the 98 Mauser is designed as control feed: from the magazine. It would not need to be modified for 8mm-06, but the feeding ramp would have to be modified for the longer cartridge.

I'd leave it in 8x57.
Sure enough it's a controlled feed but put a round in the chamber to single load and it's next to impossible to close the bolt on a unaltered military M98 - just won't snap over 8X57 or 8mm-06 rim. M98's having modified extractors & commercial M98 types like the FN Mauser allow bolt closing on a chambered round - this allows both chamber & magazine loading and extraction of chambered loaded rounds by pulling the bolt back after snapping extractor over rim. American civililians being accustomed to push feed rifles like the M700 Rem commonly single load rifles with a round in chamber instead of thru the magazine. Not much stripper clip use with scope sights.

COAL?

M98's GEW's & the Czech/BRNO VZ24 have a magazine length of 3.315. My Hornady manual gives a COAL of 3.228 for a 8mm-06 round loaded with a 196 gr BTHP match bullet. This load having a COAL of 3.228 would fit nicely in the 3.315 length M98 magazine, almost 1/10 inch to spare.

I did have a 6.5-06 on a G33-40, it had a 3.315 magazine and accepted 6.5-06 ammo loaded with 140 grain HPBT bullets.

COAL for 7.92/8mm X 57 ball miltary ammo is 3.17 inches for the 196-197 bullet load.

I would not mess around with making a M98 magazine longer by grinding down the feed ramp. The bottom bolt lug is supported by the lower receiver just in front of the feed ramp. I don't care if Weatherby did this to FN actions, not for me.

Too bad these nice rifles were made with a thumb slot. The OP has no plans to make a "build" out of his Mauser. Rechambering 8X57's to 8mm-06 was common when zillions of M98's were available - more velocity, magazine feed OK, & available brass.

Last edited:
I have an 8mmX338WM. Its in a 20 inch Douglas barrel on a modified Mauser action. I shoot the 200 gr Accubonds at 2800fps. I've killed a lot of elk and oryx with this combo. Furthest shot was 525yds on a elk. Its a great mid range gun, kind of starts fizzling out about 600yds. Its a great horseback gun, since its not expensive, short and light.

As stated earlier 8mm just lack options and very limited bullet selections. It gets out performed by a 300WSM or 338WM, not much reason to go with one with all of todays options.

I will sell mine for cheap if anyone wants one!

I put together a 325 WSM on a Win Mod 70 action, with a 23" Benchmark barrel and McMillan Edge fill stock. Shoot 200 gr Accubonds with it at 2,875 fps, and have taken elk and deer with it. Thinking about loading some 198 gr Hammers, should be a wicked combo.

well thanks all for the chat! the rifle in question went for more on the auction than I was willing to hand over haha, but I feel I've learned a bit here as well. No one has explicitly come out and said it to the best of my knowledge but it does seem that the opinion of those who use the 8mms IN MAGNUM CHAMBERINGS find that there is something, perhaps intangible, about them that does demonstrate a hotter level of field performance than the 30 calibers at normal hunting ranges (similar to what exists between the .33 and .35 bore diameters)

Got my eyes on another old BRNO bolt gun in 8mm mauser on auction but don't care what cartridge you shoot, 8mm mauser, 8-06, 325 wsm, 8mm rem mag….

These aren't very common at all as the 30 cal is so close and so popular BUT it seems like there is a certain X factor to the 8mms, don't know what it is…and now I want this old 8x57 and just figured I'd open up dialogue.

Any 8mm-anything shooters on here? What do you like or dislike about the caliber? Advantages or disadvantages Compared to 30 cal?

What projectiles in this diameter stand out as winners or favourites to you?
8 mm Mauser is a great cartridge comparable pretty much to our own 30.06, it can take any North American big game that the 30.06 will take.
after 1905 the bullet diameter was changed from .318 to .323 and all current loadings are in this diameter.
I do believe the European loadings are hotter than the American loadings if I can remember right.
I have one gorgeous 8 mm Mauser hunting rifle that I use for deer, and another gorgeous drilling in 8 mm Mauser and 16 gauge barrels that I plan on using for deer this coming season, of course I also have some assorted ex military rifles in 8 mm Mauser, I just love the caliber of myself.

During WWII, the 7.92X57 loaded with a 196-gr (197.53 grains) bullet at 2600 was a much feared & respected round. Supersonic past one thousand meters, one of the best rounds of WWII.

Last edited:
Got my eyes on another old BRNO bolt gun in 8mm mauser on auction but don't care what cartridge you shoot, 8mm mauser, 8-06, 325 wsm, 8mm rem mag….

These aren't very common at all as the 30 cal is so close and so popular BUT it seems like there is a certain X factor to the 8mms, don't know what it is…and now I want this old 8x57 and just figured I'd open up dialogue.

Any 8mm-anything shooters on here? What do you like or dislike about the caliber? Advantages or disadvantages Compared to 30 cal?

What projectiles in this diameter stand out as winners or favourites to you?
I have 2 8's. A military Mauser that has a extended eye relief scope on it and timney trigger. Shot about a 1.125" 10 shot group with 196 Noslers, varget, Fed 210. Sierra and Hornadys real close. My dad's old 1914 Mauser in 8/06AI loves 200 partitions, Imr 4320, Fed 210. Averages 1.250" or better 3 shot groups with 1-4 scope.

Recent Posts