Talk me out of getting Swarovski EL 10x42’s

Having both the Swarovski El 10x42's and Leicas HDBs I would recommend the Leicas. The glass is excellent in both but I like my Leicas so much I look forward to looking through them and they amaze me every time I look through them.

So I'm updating alot of my gear this year, new pack, gun, etc. a lot has to do with weight savings but also newer technology. I'm looking at new binoculars and thinking I'll just bite the bullet this time and get the Swaro EL 10x42's. In the past I've always used a separate rangefinder since technology seems to change more often on them and they don't last forever. Should I reconsider that? Is there anything else I should be looking at?
I'm on over 10 years with no problems work great in low light and late evening

I think that the one thing I found most odd in my search for a decent pair of binoculars was when doing a search on the internet there were a lot of articles and reviews. The top ten binoculars. The best 5 binoculars. ECT,etc. And most of these articles never mentioned Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica. Now please understand I'm not knocking other brands and I'm sure there is some real good glass in other brands than the 3 I just mentioned. And a lot of them that you would really have to be nit picky to see the difference between them and the ones I mentioned. But still you would think that they would at least be mentioned.

I have found a lot of these top 10 type lists aren't real anyhow. Most of them I come across are just people trying to utilize the Amazon affiliate program so you purchase through their site and they get a commission. They aren't real reviews, just generated off Amazon reviews and product specs.

As for the binos I've had EL's for some time and they are certainly worth the money, and the weight. I've had a few people tell me the Leica are better but I've never had a fieldsituation to compare them so I've stuck with the EL's. What sold me there was side by side with my Leupold HD binos I could see a bull at a mile, my buddy with the EL's could tell he was a good 6pt worth a closer look. Side by side I could clearly see the difference. I'm also not great at just sitting and glassing and there is considerably less eye strain so that has been great and helped lengthen glassing sessions.

Go with the Swarovski 10x42 EL Range. You won't ever regret it! Been using them for several years and they are amazing. You will be surprised at the clarity, resolution, and definition you can see in almost darkness. Ranging works great, provides a "shoot to yardage" as well as actual. I ranged sheep at 1,800 on my NV desert BH hunt.

i have the swaro EL range model. i also have meopta 10-42 binocs. the meoptas, without a doubt, are the best buy in binoc's today IF you do not need a rangefinder. my meopta's are every bit as great as the swaro's. try them side by side, .......very impressive. if you must have built in rangefinder, the swaro is the only one to get. meopta is about 1/3 cost of the EL, but same quality

I had the Zeiss 10x54 Victory HT and loved them for their superior low light capabilities. When they added the rangefinder with all the bells and whistles, I had to go that route! They are incredible! They will range soft targets to 2500 yards. They bluetooth to the app on your phone and have a built in weather station. If the size is to much, they also make it in the 10x42 as well.

I upgraded to the EL 10x42 binoculars a few years back. They are GREAT! In fact, they are too damned good. I would love to get the Leica range finding binoculars but can't justify walking away from the Swarovskis.

Have the 10x50 el and love them. How ever the Leica 10x42 hd b is just as good with a lrf built in. If I didn't have the el I'd likely have the Leica

As a hunter that spends a ton of time behind my binocs I strongly suggest any of the Swarovski models. I had the 10x SLC's and loved them. I was gifted a pair of the EL ranges and sold the SLC's.
Either will last you forever.....literally forever. And provide the finest clarity and brightness of anything available. Having the range shown right there on the screen while looking at the object is optimal for me. I would not go back to using a separate range finder If you paid me. Just my experience. I will say you can find the SLC models on sale for a decent number nowadays.
I've sat with my buddy in a blind filming and tried his Leicas w/built in RF......and the Swarovskis were better in every category....weight, brightness, clarity, edge distortion, ergonomics......
I would give up any tool or piece of equipment way before parting with my EL Ranges.
good luck and if u buy any swarovskis binocs you won't regret it.

I don't have much to offer since where are WAY over my price range, but I have to think that electronics will be the first thing to go bad. So I'd look at what kind of warranty the electronics have, because when/if they go bad now you only have a REALLY expensive pair of bino's and will have to fork out money to get another rangefinder anyway.

Also, this probably doesn't apply to your case, but in most of the areas I hunt, I quite honestly don't want/need the extra weight of binos, (Midwest whitetail hunting), But a light/small rangefinder with good glass is perfect.

I bought a new Swaro EL 10x42 (without rangefinder) several years ago and have used it solely for elk hunting. Granted, they are expensive, but worth it when I consider just how much I use a binocular for doing lots and lots of glassing on a hunt. Hard to imagine a better binocular for such use. I've never had trouble keeping this binocular steady; a 12X might be different. I don't care for a binocular harness and use only the Swaro strap that came with the binocular. The strap works well for me and fatigue after long hours in the field has yet to be a concern.

I went with the Leica Geovids HD-B 3000. All in one with great glass. I do have a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42 for sale. $1200.00

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
Highly recommend the Swaro 12x50 EL, especially if you do any mid-long range glassing and hunting. They provide all the magnification you need to locate critters and then you can just step right up to a spotter for determining trophy quality, etc.

I went from 10x Viper HDs to 10x Swaro ELs and finally the 12s.... wish I had made the jump right up.

I went to the Outdoorsmans in AZ and we put like 8 sets of binos on tripods outside-- Zeiss, Leica, Swaro SLC and EL.... and that was what pushed me over the edge!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.