Talk me out of getting Swarovski EL 10x42’s

Moman

So I'm updating alot of my gear this year, new pack, gun, etc. a lot has to do with weight savings but also newer technology. I'm looking at new binoculars and thinking I'll just bite the bullet this time and get the Swaro EL 10x42's. In the past I've always used a separate rangefinder since technology seems to change more often on them and they don't last forever. Should I reconsider that? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

I just went through this painful experience. I would not try and talk you out of the El binoculars although I talked myself out of them. I went with the 10x42 Swarovski SLC. Now to be completely honest I didn't figure I could afford new in the El binoculars and could afford new in the SLC binoculars. Did a lot of reading on the two? Some reviews advised that the El binoculars were better for bird watching and the SLC binoculars were better for hunters. A lot advised that they used the same glass. So to make a long story short I went with the SLC hoping that getting the newest technology in the SLC would help make up some of the difference in purchasing a 10 year old set of the El. Had no place or way to try and compare them so just went off of information I could goggle and we both know the internet would never miss lead you :cool: lol. Good luck, keep us posted with your decision.

I just went through this painful experience. I would not try and talk you out of the El binoculars although I talked myself out of them. I went with the 10x42 Swarovski SLC. Now to be completely honest I didn't figure I could afford new in the El binoculars and could afford new in the SLC binoculars. Did a lot of reading on the two? Some reviews advised that the El binoculars were better for bird watching and the SLC binoculars were better for hunters. A lot advised that they used the same glass. So to make a long story short I went with the SLC hoping that getting the newest technology in the SLC would help make up some of the difference in purchasing a 10 year old set of the El. Had no place or way to try and compare them so just went off of information I could goggle and we both know the internet would never miss lead you :cool: lol. Good luck, keep us posted with your decision.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think about the SLC, I've just been looking at the EL. I took a quick look at Swaro's website and it looks like the SLC is even lighter than the EL in 10x42. I didn't expect that.

I think that the one thing I found most odd in my search for a decent pair of binoculars was when doing a search on the internet there were a lot of articles and reviews. The top ten binoculars. The best 5 binoculars. ECT,etc. And most of these articles never mentioned Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica. Now please understand I'm not knocking other brands and I'm sure there is some real good glass in other brands than the 3 I just mentioned. And a lot of them that you would really have to be nit picky to see the difference between them and the ones I mentioned. But still you would think that they would at least be mentioned.

I am not going to talk you out of them, because it is what I wish I had or the Leica with range finding capability.

Im right there with you. I'm looking hard at the EL 10x42 non RF, might consider the SLC, but also don't want to regret not getting range finding capabilities. I'm leaning toward non RF just because I figure I'll have these for a long time, I'm thinking much longer than I've had any RF.

So I'm updating alot of my gear this year, new pack, gun, etc. a lot has to do with weight savings but also newer technology. I'm looking at new binoculars and thinking I'll just bite the bullet this time and get the Swaro EL 10x42's. In the past I've always used a separate rangefinder since technology seems to change more often on them and they don't last forever. Should I reconsider that? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Yes you should look at something else. Leica.
I looked at all of them all before deciding on the Leica. I had the hdb then upgraded to the hdb3000.
They are fantastic both in glass and ranging. I feel they have the best glass in the game. Not to mention the range finder is top notch.

I should have added I would definitely do them together. Only time I bring out my handheld anymore is when I'm shotgun hunting and don't need anything more. The ability to range with only one piece of equipment is great and you will wish you did it sooner. Also once you load your drops into the Lieca it will spit out very accurate drops for you to dial up.

I have had the Swaro 10x42EL RF for a number of years now. They are awesome!!! Every time I let someone look thru them, they get ****ed for having done it. ;-) The glass is exceptional, especially in low light. The range finder is also remarkable. I have ranged to more than 2300 yards with them and they are always within one yard of my Vectronics PLRF10. Buy with confidence!!!

I have both the EL10x42 and the Geovid HDB 10x42. In bad light the Swaro is superior. But as mentioned , the Leica has a wonderfull ranging system.

I'm not going to be much help.

I don't know how many trips I made to different stores taking them outside to compare the two. To the point I'm surprised they weren't tired of me. When it was all said and done... it was the EL hands down for me.

I recommend the 8x42 EL's (I have the 8X EL range). I find more stuff glassing (by holding up binos to my face with my arms) when I use the lower power.
Everyone seems to think that 10X is better, but it's a strain on the eyes to try to hold them steady

Now tripod use is a different story

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.