Talk me out of building 260 ai

I get what you're saying, especially about the dies, but I didn't really set out to fire-form mine. I did take a hand full to the range to shoot a couple times to send for the dies, but everything else I just loaded to shoot hunting or playing same as I did the .260 to start with. It was my coyote/groundhog gun so I just went through it as usual. By the time I had a couple hundred cases formed the dies were here. I was going to shoot it anyway so no added work for me.
This is really what I'm thinking my process would be

Just a quick follow up on this, how does the 260 rem ammo shoot when the chamber is 260ai? Would I expect a difference in accuracy or precision? I suspect the points of impact would be different, right?

I really love the .260 Rem. and will always have one (or two). It is easy to fireform, but then it is just like getting another cartridge with components (dies) and the extra work in fireforming for another 100-150fps...
If you are looking for more velocity in a 6.5mm get a 6.5 PRC or 6.5X284 and keep the .260! You have two 6.5s then.
It would still be fun to just switch your 260 to a 260AI. You already have the brass, action, stock, just need a new barrel and dies.
Good luck and have fun!
I think in my case right now, I have a rifle that is in need of a new barrel just improve the precision. I thought about making the jump to both of those, but the PRC would require a new bolt face or modifying/cutting the current bolt, and the 6.5x284 has pretty much the same ballistics as the 260ai with no additional gunsmithing for my current setup.

I think in my case right now, I have a rifle that is in need of a new barrel just improve the precision. I thought about making the jump to both of those, but the PRC would require a new bolt face or modifying/cutting the current bolt, and the 6.5x284 has pretty much the same ballistics as the 260ai with no additional gunsmithing for my current setup.
Hey like I said we love the .260 Rem and you already have the brass to make 260AI. and nothing to change except the barrel. Keep us informed on the new build Very easy to just shoot .260 in your new chamber to fire form. I just mentioned the other cartridges to make another rifle. I still like adding new rifles to the collection, when I should be selling some.
I thought of a .260AI but made a 6.5x284 for "F" class.
The .308 Parent Case has many options. We have or had a .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308.
Might build a 25-08 or 25 x 284 since we already have the brass and dies. You got me thinking about a 25-08AI now
If you need any help please let us know what we can assist you.
Document your current .260 load data, barrel length, twist against your new build for a comparison. I am sure we are all interested in your decision and new build!
Thanks
Len & Jill

Hey like I said we love the .260 Rem and you already have the brass to make 260AI. and nothing to change except the barrel. Keep us informed on the new build Very easy to just shoot .260 in your new chamber to fire form. I just mentioned the other cartridges to make another rifle. I still like adding new rifles to the collection, when I should be selling some.
I thought of a .260AI but made a 6.5x284 for "F" class.
The .308 Parent Case has many options. We have or had a .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308.
Might build a 25-08 or 25 x 284 since we already have the brass and dies. You got me thinking about a 25-08AI now
If you need any help please let us know what we can assist you.
Document your current .260 load data, barrel length, twist against your new build for a comparison. I am sure we are all interested in your decision and new build!
Thanks
Len & Jill
What I'm running right now in the 260 rem is peterson brass, with 47grs H4350 is 121 heavy hammer. Getting right around 3007fps with an ES of 15. ~1" at 100yds

I tried the 124 hammer hunters but had issues with stabilization at longer ranges. they were running around 2850fps with 20-24 ES, using 45grs of H4350.

My twist rate is 1:9, so shooting the longer, higher BC bullets is my struggle. If just wanted a hunting rifle I think everything would work just fine, but I'm spoiled because I built a 300wm that shoots 1/2" at 200yds using Hammer 181s. Now I'm chasing similar precision for the other rifle......... I like to tinker and spend my money on silly things o_O

Had a 260 in the days before the 6.5 manbun took over the world, was a great well rounded cartridge. With a better marketing team and some better twist/market timing.... could have been big. Was a blued rifle and when I left the high desert it got adopted out.

I think I had 100 pieces of lapua brass, a moderate load and don't remember loosing a piece over a comically large amount of firings. Certainly don't remember trimming 2-3 firings.

The Ackley range definitely had something going on certain rounds this one has me scratching my head. Maybe it's 200 fps, maybe it let's you scratch a higher pressure node but boiler room alone would have me guessing 80-120 all things equal. Now higher pressure node with less case taper plus some capacity gain may be greater.... but there is a seemingly endless ways to drive a 6.5 pill faster.

My mentor would let me form and fireform some of his crazy wildcats. Some were as much as 8 stages from parent including cutting length, neck, multi step down, and fire form.... think by college it got to me. These days I really try and avoid neck turning or fire forming. Maybe it's just stage of life, as I round out of youth to middle age life seems to short to fire form anything but a hotrod.

Now, if I was old, not married or unhappily married, or 2 days into "15 to flatten the curve"... maybe fire forming a modest cartridge to slightly less modest cartridge would pencil..

For now my "Ackley" cartridges are factory Ackley.

Tldr: don't do it, it's like putting a performance map on a silver Honda accord. It's more performance but begs the question of why?

* edit: made a liar out of myself, have a heavy barreled 22-250 ai. Kinda forgot as ammo got so good late 17'-18' I ended up buying piles of factory ammo on the cheap. Probably shot half the barrel life just fire forming. One of these days I'm gonna have a heap of mixed bag fire formed brass to work up, since decent 12$ a box ammo is probably less likely to come back than old fashioned manners....

Last edited:
No, no I won't try talk you out of it. Let me know how it goes.

I have a thing against Man Buns but I have a desire to try a .260

My friends from another forum suggested a .280a.i. for a hunting rifle. I researched various cartridges and settled on .280a.i. and I'm impressed.

Seriously considering a .260 for target shooting and the .260a.i. must be a better good thing.

We are all friends here and if building a .260a.i makes you happy then do it, Let me know how it goes.